Can I use native access just for downloading kontakt libraries?

MtB1
MtB1 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hi,

I want to download larger parts of komplete 14CE. Due to connection issues I need to downlaod from a computer where no NI software is installed and will not be. Is this possible with just native access and then installing the libraries to a usb 3 disc and mounting them later on to my workstation?

Best Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yes, you may install Kontakt libraries on other computer using just NA. It might force to download also Kontakt or Kontakt Player...

And than use it on other computer. You would need to direct (using NA) each library to folder on external/internal disc.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 912 Guru
    Answer ✓

Not sure this will work as that second install of NA will initiate an actual "install" (whether you like it or not) of anything it downloads and then scatter key files to the C drive, potentially a Documents folder in addition to downloading the core libraries to your specific "USB" hard drive.

There is no way (that I am aware of) to just download actual "library" data. Each "product" within the NA universe arrives as an ISO and that ISO features an actual setup routine that places the file payload where it needs to go on the target machine.

And then to complicate this even more - NA will automatically bind activation to that secondary machine DURING setup as it will assume you are going to actually use it there - even if the library is redirected to an external.

You could try it - but I can almost guarantee if you direct a library of any kind to an external on that second machine and let it run thru a full setup and then disconnect the external and bring it to your main machine - your main machine will have no idea about what's on that drive nor will your main install of NA. You also will be trying to run a half baked set of files (with potential key pieces sitting on the other machine) that will also have no activation.

Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.

VP

Answers

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

Yes, you may install Kontakt libraries on other computer using just NA. It might force to download also Kontakt or Kontakt Player...

And than use it on other computer. You would need to direct (using NA) each library to folder on external/internal disc.

• MtB1

Do I need a new activation for that?

• Vocalpoint
    Answer ✓

Not sure this will work as that second install of NA will initiate an actual "install" (whether you like it or not) of anything it downloads and then scatter key files to the C drive, potentially a Documents folder in addition to downloading the core libraries to your specific "USB" hard drive.

There is no way (that I am aware of) to just download actual "library" data. Each "product" within the NA universe arrives as an ISO and that ISO features an actual setup routine that places the file payload where it needs to go on the target machine.

And then to complicate this even more - NA will automatically bind activation to that secondary machine DURING setup as it will assume you are going to actually use it there - even if the library is redirected to an external.

You could try it - but I can almost guarantee if you direct a library of any kind to an external on that second machine and let it run thru a full setup and then disconnect the external and bring it to your main machine - your main machine will have no idea about what's on that drive nor will your main install of NA. You also will be trying to run a half baked set of files (with potential key pieces sitting on the other machine) that will also have no activation.

Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.

VP

• MtB1

Thanks, Vocalpoint.

I think I will stay with my poor internet connectivity and let it take the time it needs to download the files to my workstation computer. Seems like a hassle the other way.

• Kubrak

It should work OK. At least on Windows...

1) One installs Kontakt Libraries and/or Expansions on internal/external disc. Or has someone who has it installed...

2) Copy Kontakt/Expansion files on disc/server/cloud/....

3) Copy files to desired place of desired computer.

3) Go to NA and go one by one in following steps repeatedly for all Instruments/Expansions:

A) Press ... button.

B) Select Locate.

D) Navigade NA to folder where given instrument resides.

• Vocalpoint

These steps make sense on the surface:

1) One installs Kontakt Libraries and/or Expansions on internal/external disc. Or has someone who has it installed...

2) Copy Kontakt/Expansion files on disc/server/cloud/...."

But simply copying a bunch of files from Computer B's external BACK to Computer A's external "seems" like it will work - except you are most likely leaving other key files (XML, templates, db files and who knows what) back on Computer 2's C drive.

While I am sure you could point Locate at anything to make NA at least see it - that does not mean the library will automatically be authorized OR work right in Kontakt if it's actual installer has not been run.

Say something like Abbey Road 80's Drummer Or Cuba or something - there must be a number of support files on C somewhere that need to be in the right spot for these libraries to load properly AND be authorized properly.

If it does work - that would be very interesting.

VP

• MtB1

Wouldn't it be the same as if I was to set up a new computer with all applications and just use my old library disc for the large content files?

I guess I've done that some years ago when I switched to my actual workstation and it worked. Pointing Native Access to the right directories and I was done.

• Kubrak

Sure, you may fuse the steps, save copying and use external disc to install Libraries on "download" computer and use that disc on "target" computer.

But still, you have to Locate each product one by one in NA.

@Vocalpoint

My understanding is it works so. At least on Win. I have installed so legacy "Berlin Pianos" - lazy to look for precise name....

My guess is that NA adds the authorisation files needed. NA makes authorisation, not the SW installer.

• Vocalpoint
    edited June 2023

You could always try it. Do remember that "years ago" - you were mostly likely using NA v1 - which was a different beast than NA2.

My mind keeps getting stuck on what happens when you select a product within NA2 to download and not only does it download the big payload files - it actually runs setup and authorizes that software on the machine you are running NA2 on. That NA2 process must be leaving a bunch of stuff scattered around and needs that "stuff" for something besides just a basic download of some big files?

If it is this easy - one could give their entire external drive to a colleague with say just Komplete Start and let them simply "locate" everything on your drive and use your collection for free?

VP

• MtB1

I don't think this could be possible as long as the libraries are not activated for this user. And this was my first main concern: I would loose one activation and I don't know if I needed that later on.

But meanwhile I'm more about bringing my computer to this place where I have better download speed and keep everything in its right place (even if this is a bit annoying).

• Kubrak

If it is this easy - one could give their entire external drive to a colleague with say just Komplete Start and let them simply "locate" everything on your drive and use your collection for free?

No, it would not work. Things must be activated by NA2/NA1 for given computer. So, friend would have to have his own licence, or he probably could use yours (I am not sure about the legal side of thing), but should not use it at the same time as you (to comply with EULA).

I don't think this could be possible as long as the libraries are not activated for this user. And this was my first main concern: I would loose one activation and I don't know if I needed that later on.

Well, one could download just ISOs, but it is sort of tricky. So, yes Libraries would be installed to "download" computer. But if you uninstall it later, you would not loose one of licences... NI does not count preciselly number of installs. Just one should not have it installed on more than three computers at the same time. There is no deactivation procedure, one just deletes/uninstall files. Or throws computer to trash, if that failed....