Scratching on Maschine

Options
2»

Comments

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 609 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

I just record my scratches direct to M+ via cables from my DJ mixer (I scratch with vinyl only, everything else sounds fake to me)

If I want to do proper "studio scratches" I import the beat into a DAW, set it to loop, and go ham on that for as long as I need, then edit out the best bits afterwards.

Unless you're recording simple stuff, or are very talented, recording straight might need a lot of takes to get it right

The input volume doesn't matter when recording only the scratches, just dont clip on the way in. You would be readjusting the levels when mixing anyway..

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

With the solution I proposed you can record automation and correct/alter the scratch itself. Like playing keys and mater quantise or whatever but applied to scratching.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 609 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

yeah, well there are also apps such as deckadance where you can draw curve automation based scratches directly inside an editor. But IMHO using digital scratching tools is like using a digital 303 vs an analog one, it just doesn't sound the same and ultimately always leaves you wanting for "more". YMMV

Take something as simple as chirps, I've yet to hear any digital system, DVS or otherwise, nailing the crispiness of chirps pulled off compared to just how awesome vinyl based crips sound

• Mutis
    Options

Well we were talking about feeding Traktor into Maschine... if we are talking about analog scratching vs digital systems I'm agree with you of course.

For me Scratch Track approach is the middle path for non-die-hard tablist allowing for realtime TTM instead just draw like Wave Traveller and others.

About accuracy, even hardly will be better than analog recording, you can see how far this approach can go following Sxratch project.

But their tools isn't so advanced as a plugin like Scratch Track (or almost a year ago where these videos are come from).

Food for though ;)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Ewwww fake scratching? Plugs that imitate scratching generally sound terrible, too perfect, no groove, no feel, 100% quantised, etc... but I cant really criticise it when I use "fake" guitars and other instruments as plugins.... Whatever works.

Masters usually have some level of compression after the mixing is done, depends on the mix tho... You should treat scratching exactly the same way as a vocal or any instrument.

RAW can be fine, depends on whats the purpose, is it just chilling and trying out some stuff or are you planning to officially release it to streaming platforms?

• AxMusic
    AxMusic Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Starting out, and practicing my cuts and scratches… for fun as I get the hang of the dj controller, but eventually put out official releases on streaming..

Got it treat cuts like vocals 👍🏻

• Mutis
    Options

Did you miss the part where you scratch before any editing?

Why commenting before even take a look at the videos? Not just the latest but the first…

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

A lot of that is simply practice and adapting, it is very similar to a guitarist moving further away from the amp that they are using and tapping.

A quick example is some people being slick on a PT01 but on a 12 they are absolutely terrible, because they never used a 12, I know a ton of tablist now who swear by Phase once they got used to it and adapted, I still prefer vinyl myself, but Phase and the Rane are intriguing and definitely the future.

As for scratching in Maschine, unless you are doing something special (Unlikely on an S3, with no disrespect meant to ANYBODY who cuts, no matter the kit) but you may find it much more useful to just duplicate the pad in Maschine, reverse the duplicate, then change the start point of the reversed duplicate, now trigger the first sample and the duplicate and you will have perfect forward backward motion that you can sequence directly in the pattern.

But my main suggestion would be get a cheap PT01 and some Yo 7"s.

• D-One
    edited June 2023
    Options

Then I wouldn't worry too much about it, scratching takes quite a while to learn so you will probably hate your current cuts compared to what they will be 6 months from now.

Sorry, I did watch the last two and I am not sure how a flare tutorial or a scratch visualizer fits into any of this.... ? (looks very cool tho)

Just watched the first video, I wasn't referring to that btw, I was talking generally about scratching emulation tools, simpler things like Gross Beat, the new akai Flex Beta thingy, etc...

• Mutis
    Options

I know bro… but that generic answer when I’m trying to point some interesting tools (that btw I suggested should be implemented inside Maschine sw at the old forum) made me sad :(

I was trying to go further over those kind of “only drawable tools” precisely :/

• D-One
    Options

Noted. Sorry, I didn't mean to disregard what you said, I apologize if it sounded insensitive. Just trying to help op with what he especially asked.

• AxMusic
    AxMusic Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I appreciate all the feedback everyone.

Thank you for all the ideas, and input.

Yeah I hadn’t heard much about plug ins for scratches.. interesting concepts since pretty much everything can be digitized now.

• Mutis
    edited June 2023
    Options

Don’t worry I noticed by your second comment. Maybe read mine again and check scratch track plug. You can draw automation by scratching (the sxratch visualiser demo for better understanding the technique behind) and after that edit like pad or keys but for vinyl and xfader.

Thanks @AxMusic for being open to different solutions.

Cheers