Native Instruments new brand identity

Comments

• DJDL
    DJDL Member Posts: 63 Helper

Something along the same lines but slightly more familiar...

• cybo
    cybo Member Posts: 15 Helper

Awful, I mean look at the “R”. Absolutely terrible looking.

• Z Gabr
    Z Gabr Member Posts: 52 Helper
    edited May 2023

In fact, everything there is terrible, every letter. The new logo is also terrible... Everything is totally disharmonic... The only emotion I have with the new logo and font is sadness.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 820 Guru

Totally agree about the font, but not the logo!

What about the logo is disharmonic?

To me it seems good. Semi abstract, well balanced, minimalist, and that little detail of the corner on the down slope breaking the horizontal at the base is a really nice touch. It's also easily recognisable - after a few months it will just mean Native Instruments at a glance - which is the whole point.

I still hate the banner font - it's objectively bad. The logo is not, there's nothing objectively wrong with it. And personally I like it so :)

..and also the banner graphics with all that weird blue floating crystal disc stuff that looks like it's straight off a detergent package, or air freshener... they don't look quite so out of place with the new logo, they make more visual sense now than with the old logo.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,596 Expert
    edited May 2023

That would have made way more sense as a logo and looks more appealing (imo), just a little "simple" and a designer would probably feel it's a bit uninspired and "easy" of a design

Personally, I don't read too deeply into this, it's just a logo... It's like 5% of brand's real identity, especially if it looks generic.

Hmmm, I think you may be underestimating the importance of how impactful logos are.

Why do people buy into these considering there are so many better options for the cost:

Without even saying what these are, you already know and you also probably know just why people buy them, and why that logo is on the sides of these in clear sight. Without it they look like any other pair of cheap cans, most people aint buying them because they sound "the best" for the cost, they are good but the logo is what people want to show off.

Same as when we see this logo, we know who and what it is all about without any words, minimalistic design but impact is one of the things Apple has been very good with:

Brand recognition and logos are something companies invest millions to perfect and protect. It is the very first impression one gets on a product. That's why Apple don't use their original logo from the 70's:

Although it has more meaning in it, it is hardly as impactful as the current logo.

Apple hit on that perfect simple design and have simply changed the style of it over the years, no matter how it is revamped you always know what it is...

It works for any company that has perfected their brand and you instantly know who they are and what they are about just from the logo, not a single word or letter needed:

That will be a hard thing to reinvent and (IMO) NI loses all that 20 years of groundwork with their original logo, but maybe that is then point, I just personally don't see it making as big of an impact as the above examples

To me it seems good. Semi abstract, well balanced, minimalist, and that little detail of the corner on the down slope breaking the horizontal at the base is a really nice touch. It's also easily recognisable - after a few months it will just mean Native Instruments at a glance - which is the whole point.

To my eyes the diagonal line of the "N" seems disproportionate compared to the vertical lines, the hard line of the end of that N sweep also seems to be abrupt compared to the sweep of the knee and the angle between where that N ends and the I sits doesn't feel even and doesn't seem like these 2 characters fit. The fact it does break that horizontal line is what makes me dislike it visually so it's something that seems to divide opinion.

The N is also not an N it is more like an A, it would be more clever if it looked like the whole thing was originally an N but was cut and makes an NI which is what I assume is suppose to be the case, but it does not look like it flows.

My eyes are subjective consumer eyes but unlike the examples above which all have a certain flow and symmetry, looking at the NI logo at the end is displeasing to me because of the points I made and it just doesn't look original like the other examples, it doesn't seem to have that "easy recognition" to it. Still makes no difference to how I view them as a company, just dislike the faults I see in the design

• Z Gabr

The thing is that this logo is similar to the logos of some other companies, it doesn't stand out as something obviously special among them and is not memorable...

• Z Gabr

To my eyes the diagonal line of the "N" seems disproportionate compared to the vertical lines, the hard line of the end of that N sweep also seems to be abrupt compared to the sweep of the knee and the angle between where that N ends and the I sits doesn't feel even and doesn't seem like these 2 characters fit. The fact it does break that horizontal line is what makes me dislike it visually so it's something that seems to divide opinion.

The N is also not an N it is more like an A, it would be more clever if it looked like the whole thing was originally an N but was cut and makes an NI which is what I assume is suppose to be the case, but it does not look like it flows.

My eyes are subjective consumer eyes but unlike the examples above which all have a certain flow and symmetry, looking at the NI logo at the end is displeasing to me because of the points I made and it just doesn't look original like the other examples, it's doesn't seem to have that "easy recognition" to it. Still makes no difference to how I view them as a company, just dislike the faults I see in the design

I absolutely agree. Exactly the same feelings and thoughts

• frkh09
    frkh09 Member Posts: 35 Member

The new logo and font doesn't represent ni. It looks out of context and ridiculous. They should revert to previous one or come up with something better.

• pongtrometer
    pongtrometer Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Looks like AI (the fad of AI as a buzz word is cheap),.....overall you've lost any sense of identity, it doesn't connote progressive music tech, just looks futuristic for nothing...The original Logo / Identity has a clarity that doesn't beg to be futuristic, it housed both the heritage of the classic whilst being a pioneer of innovation. The update IMO its a fail. Even future hardware with this new logo will look like a Korg M1

• pongtrometer
    pongtrometer Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

April fools 2024 ?

• 197Bravo
    197Bravo Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

not Bad a little more Simplified, Just make your software a little more simplified as well for newbies 🙂

• TurnedTables
    TurnedTables Member Posts: 33 Helper

Not great. What's going on with the letter R - looks like someone drew a P and added the final stroke as an afterthought.

The icons look awful on a Windows machine, the TR looks all squashed up and barely readable. I've got my Native Access and Traktor icons next to each other on the taskbar and they look very basic and childlike next to the others.

I don't know why you need the little accent between the words either - in TP3, why have it as TRAKTOR'Pro'Plus ??? Just Traktor Pro Plus will do thank you!

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru

That’s an interesting way to look at it. I’m not a big fan of the logo. I wonder if there was a consultation with NI’s user base? I didn’t hear or see that there was. It would make sense to hold off launching new hardware if you were rebranding. I hope new Traktor hardware makes an appearance this year. Traktor 4.0 is just around the corner. With the new branding it would make good business sense to bring new hardware to the table. I’m hoping anyway. Let’s see.