iPad + S8 D2 F1

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,735 mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

The article you linked to says half a page in:

2.1. Fully Supported NI Devices

Fully supported NI devices can be used with both iPad and iPhone, except the S2 MK3 and S3 which can only be used with iPad.

The table below lists all fully supported NI devices and their specifications regarding iOS connectivity.

Note: These devices can be used both as audio interfaces on any iOS app capable of streaming audio (including TRAKTOR DJ) and as a surface controller in the TRAKTOR DJ app.

List:

TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 MK2

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK2

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK3

TRAKTOR KONTROL S3

TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2

2.2. Compatible NI Devices

Compatible NI devices can only be used with iPad.

An iOS adapter cable needs to be purchased separately for these devices (see 'iOS Device Requirements' below).

Note: These devices can only be used as audio interfaces on any iOS app capable of streaming audio (including TRAKTOR DJ) but not as controllers for the TRAKTOR DJ app.

Below is a list of all compatible NI class-compliant devices and their specifications regarding the use of a power supply.

List:

KOMPLETE AUDIO 6

TRAKTOR AUDIO 10

TRAKTOR KONTROL S5

TRAKTOR KONTROL S8

TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2

There is no mention of D2 or F1. S8 can only be used as an audio interface, but not as a deck controller.

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,735 mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

The article you linked to says half a page in:

2.1. Fully Supported NI Devices

Fully supported NI devices can be used with both iPad and iPhone, except the S2 MK3 and S3 which can only be used with iPad.

The table below lists all fully supported NI devices and their specifications regarding iOS connectivity.

Note: These devices can be used both as audio interfaces on any iOS app capable of streaming audio (including TRAKTOR DJ) and as a surface controller in the TRAKTOR DJ app.

List:

TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 MK2

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK2

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK3

TRAKTOR KONTROL S3

TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2

2.2. Compatible NI Devices

Compatible NI devices can only be used with iPad.

An iOS adapter cable needs to be purchased separately for these devices (see 'iOS Device Requirements' below).

Note: These devices can only be used as audio interfaces on any iOS app capable of streaming audio (including TRAKTOR DJ) but not as controllers for the TRAKTOR DJ app.

Below is a list of all compatible NI class-compliant devices and their specifications regarding the use of a power supply.

List:

KOMPLETE AUDIO 6

TRAKTOR AUDIO 10

TRAKTOR KONTROL S5

TRAKTOR KONTROL S8

TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2

There is no mention of D2 or F1. S8 can only be used as an audio interface, but not as a deck controller.

• den4life
    den4life Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

It would be great of their previous ‘flagship’ the S8 could also control the iPad - Traktor DJ2. Should not be too difficult to fix for them. Also strange soundcloud is integrated in Traktor DJ2 but not in Pro sw. If they do this, they give users more freedom in creating playlists on the road, and later on prepare further in Pro version.

And yes tidal integration …. Good to see voted on already, hope it comes soon.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,265 Expert
    edited August 2023

In facts it would be quite difficult. On iPad only Class Compliant devices can work, since it is not possible to install drivers on it.

The only way to do it is that the manufacturer creates an app that already “contain” the needed drivers, but if I’m correct Apple requires an ulterior payment for this. And since NI never showed much love for iPads and iPhones in general (even the few apps they made have been…let’s say neglected…no updates, no improvements and in the end even EOL and removed…see the recent case of iMaschine) I don’t see any type of change in this behavior coming. But…hey…the world is full of surprises…

BTW: even Z1 (at least the old model) is in some way compatible with iPad. On old models with lightning connectors it can be used as audio interface AND controller. On newer USB C ones only as controller (same is valid for other controllers as Pioneer DDJ WeGO, as I sadly discovered yesterday 😔)

• Caleb Grayson
    Caleb Grayson Member Posts: 7 Member

well..i hooked my Denon MCX8000 to my iPad Pro running DJay and it works so well.

mom gong to go that route for my wedding/corporate gigs.

just too easy not to.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,654 mod

I've heard about the dedicated chip for iOS. S8 and S4mk3 for example doesn't have this chip but controllers like Z1 and S2 mk3 comes with that chip built into the hardware. So it is not a driver issue only.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,265 Expert

Out of curiosity: your iPad is USB C? In which case: is the Denon working both as a controller and an audio interface? (and I presume that the screens doesn’t show anything, but otherwise give me also that info ☺️).

Thank you in advance

• Caleb Grayson
    Caleb Grayson Member Posts: 7 Member

yes.

DJay recognizes the MCX and it’s works very well as a audio interface and MIDI controller.

the screens do not work - however i can run the C and D decks stand alone and use them for that.

iPad Pro 11” M1

i use a USB-C hub to connect my external USB-A drive, the MCX on USB-A, power to iPad on USB-C, another USB-C port for when i use my Behringer Flow 8 and an HDMI port for video from DJay.

that iPad is so much more powerful than my 2017 MBP for Stems and analysis, etc.