Apple announced Logic Pro coming to iPad.. time for BIG rethink of KK and other NI products

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,259 Expert
    edited May 2023

And buy twice is not THAT wrong. People are willing to pay subscriptions for not owning anything and even lose what they’ve done if they stop paying but not paying the double work put to develop something on another platform?

Plus…the prices on iPad are really lower, even now that they are increasing cause more professional apps are been made. So…what’s the difference in putting 20-30 more bucks to use something on iPad too from companies making you pay a product 20-30 (or even 50) more bucks cause it’s multi platform?

Well…there IS a difference: if they keep on computers the price they have now and make you pay for an iPad version, people not interested in using both won’t see their prizes raise up and be forced to pay more (even if not interested in both)

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 76 Helper

Any time I’ve seen someone produce on iPad they’ve got hubs and dongles and workarounds for recording that looks more annoying and no less portable shrug + that $50 a year given what iPad pros cost is just insulting. I’ve tinkered with GarageBand on iPads and touch pianos / synths is just too weird / clunk. Maybe I’m in a minority that can’t do the floaty play in the air thing. Midi editing via touch is also clunky on it. I get more out of Ableton’s much simpler Note app I guess since it’s just to loosely sketch ideas on with a more touch friendly ui.

No idea on Cubase but I have heard people say it’s good on iPad though I’d expect it to have same issues relating to touch interfaces.

All that said I could see an argument for Traktor on iPad (excepted you’d need the large one to see it which means a pro) since you just use a controller with interface anyway. I dunno how many people want a $1500? iPad for their dj display though I guess that’s still less than a MBP. Kinda room to argue either way - Windows people will probably stick with less expensive Windows hardware.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

@LostInFoundation

I understand. Plugin that costs 1500 USD will be available for few bucks when ported to iPad.... That sounds like paradise.

• LostInFoundation

Probably not. The more “professional” the app is, the more the cost grows also on iPad. But surely it will be less than on desktop. By a lot 👍🏼

Paradise doesn’t exist, and if it does, surely is a place without Apples (remember Adam and Eve?) 😏

• Kubrak

So how much do you think 1500 USD plugin would cost if made for iPad?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru

When Logic Pro 11 gets released soonish.. I think it's likely that it will be a sub for $49/year and include the iPad version. Tremendous value for $49/year, and will be a good mechanism for ongoing development. And will let new users get into for less than the current price of $200.

What would be wonderful would be if NI offered a monthly subscription that included all their products for $20/month, or $199/year. This is the new reality of high-end plug-in pricing.

And even better if that NI subscription included AUv3 versions of everything.. which should be relatively simple since their products are already AUv2.

The big changes to Native access is laying the foundation for a well-designed subscription service. Some growing pains in transition.. but the path they are going is clear.

• nightjar
    edited May 2023

That $1500 "plug-in" is about the cost of Komplete CE.

"Cost" made in the new reality of software pricing would be a sub of $20/month or $199/year. And would include VST3, AUv3 and AAX versions.

And would always be current with new NI content. This is the new market reality.

• Kubrak

No way. That 1500 USD plugin (one plugin, not plugin bundle) will not be 199 USD/year.

• LostInFoundation

Just curious which 1500 plugin you are talking about.

One I would avoid for sure. Unless when I finish making music, it will come out of my computer and also clean my studio (interspaces between Maschine pads included) 😂😂😂

• LostInFoundation

49$ a year is the price of Logic ipad only subscription. I doubt that having both versions will cost the same

• Kubrak
    edited May 2023

Just ordinary channel stripe.....

From time to time, there is a sale just for 1000 USD.

• nightjar

And the writing is on the wall for Harrison... bought a few week ago by SSL. Expect some big changes to the old way of pricing.

• nightjar

I actually think it is possible. But we won't know until it happens.

• Kubrak

Yes, it is impossible to proof something will not happen....

Yes, SSL bought Harrison. We may expect big changes. It will not cost 1500, but 2000. Subscription might be 101 USD/week for regular computer and 98 USD/week for iPad.

• nightjar

At Apple's developer conference in June, a big push for AUv3 could speed things along. Especially if it ties together the use of gpu cores for audio dsp. Apple's move into VR headset will demand low latency audio.