Waiting for Maschine MK4, Maschine Studio MK2, or Komplete Kontrol MK3

Options

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,801 Expert
    Options

My opinion is NI should go modular way. They sort of do it for Traktor X1/F1/Z1 are good brothers. Or D2.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 632 Pro
    Options

Sometimes I really wonder whatever happened to trying to get the most out of your setup...

Native Instruments threw that in the trash. You CAN'T "get the most out of your setup", because Native makes new things INCOMPATIBLE with your setup if you have their old software and devices.

Example 1: Kore2 was stopped. I still have the hardware (2 of them, actually), but it doesn't DO ANYTHING with the current versions of Kontakt or any of the other Komplete apps.

Example 2: Guitar Rig 6 does NOT work with the old Rig Controller. I have the hardware here too (yes, 2 perfectly good devices!), but it only works with old Guitar Rig, which is no longer being updated.

Some of us would LOVE to be able to "get the most out of our setup", except for the fact that if you want to keep upgrading Komplete, you can't do that.

• BIF
    Options

That would be good until they decide to stop supporting one of the modular devices. Then it would be terrifying to have to figure out how to keep your stuff working the next time you upgrade Komplete.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,801 Expert
    Options

Well, Maschine MK1 still works with current Komplete, I guess. I do not see any reason it would not.

X1/F1/Z1 work with Traktor for ages. And D2 or S5 that have been discontinues as well.

But even if it is not supported by newer versions, one may use it with older ones... One cannot expect support for HW to go forever. Sooner or later it ends...

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Options

@BIF

You CAN'T "get the most out of your setup", because Native makes new things INCOMPATIBLE with your setup if you have their old software and devices.

Example 1: Kore2 was stopped. I still have the hardware (2 of them, actually), but it doesn't DO ANYTHING with the current versions of Kontakt or any of the other Komplete apps.

It's not exactly new for any company to eventually stop supporting older stuff, including hardware. Ableton doesn't really support their first line of Push controllers anymore for example, Reason Studios has long abandoned their Balance audio interface and yes: NI stopped with Kore.

However, you're now leaving out the fact that NI has released several Kontakt instruments that are a perfect substitute for previous Kore instruments. ... not to mention that back then the NKS standard wasn't really a thing, hardly as big of an issue as it is now.

Example 2: Guitar Rig 6 does NOT work with the old Rig Controller.

Can't really comment on this because I don't use this line of hardware, but if that critter sends out MIDI signals then I'm convinced that you can make this with with any kind of DAW that supports MIDI mapping.

• BIF
    Options

Hi, Shelluser:

Those were TWO EXAMPLES. If I give you ten examples, will you refute me every time? Is it your role to defend Ative Instruments every time somebody gives an example to help explain their complaint?

They told us Kore wasn't compatible. It was definitely NOT obsolete when they canceled it. They told us Rig Kontrol wasn't compatible. It only became obsolete when GR6 was made to not work with it. And they won't at least open the interfaces to allow people to develop such solutions for either of those controllers.

If it's really and truly obsolete technology (in both or either case) then what would be the harm of providing an open interface for both of those? But no. We see NOTHING.

Also, you basically told me the same thing for both devices, but you gave me OPPOSITE REASONING for them. Kore is gone, live with it. Rig should work, I'm sure you can MAKE it work. Wait, what?

I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Either we can make neither of them work because the interfaces are still closed, or we can make both of them work because ...what, magic is green?

Anyhow, my EXAMPLES still stand. Ative Instruments cancels stuff. The only way you know if something is NOT canceled is the day a new version comes out. Hence Maschine+, KK MK2, Komplete 14. But if they go 2-3 years without a new one, then the customer MUST assume that they're going to discontinue that thing, or the most valuable part of that thing.

For that reason, I would not be keen on modular versions of Maschine or whatever.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,851 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

NI has released several Kontakt instruments that are a perfect substitute for previous Kore instruments

Hardly! Kore 2 was a masterpiece and nothing NI have released since can replace it entirely. Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and NKS still don't come close unfortunately, neither do any Kontakt instruments. I wish they did.

• Toltemic
    Toltemic Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I think the Maschine mk3 is as good as it is- just needs more software focus, preferably with software features to enhance hardware interfacing rather than trying to make DAW out of Maschine 2. The only thing I would see them do is a minor hardware revision that incorporates MPE pads. Traktor on the other hand...

Personally I think the combination of the Jam and Komplete keyboards would allow it to c(K)ompete against an interface that's feature rich on midi keyboards whilst still having already mapped controls for kk and Maschine. Also bring Arp and scales natively to the hardware please.

Terrible photoshop idea below on an s49, bigger the keyboard the more parts of the jam exist, bigger button matrix, more touch faders

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,851 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Maschine is a beat oriented device that’s pretty limited for use with instruments due to lack of support for even channel aftertouch, let alone poly aftertouch, MPE or Midi 2. As I said earlier I hope NI are developing a new range of keyboards and maybe also a new Maschine version that support more modern expression standards. It would be great if this also included things like the true patch morphing that Kore 2 offered and nothing can yet replace, as well as proper support for FX and multis.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

Maybe NI could do like Akai and release an standalone Jam witj adapted Maschine software (think in Force vs MPC) but it doesn’t seem they are ready for something like that…

I’m being proposing/wondering about a standalone device hosting everything being just the upper side of M+ (crop the mikro over the M+ to see what I mean). It could be the center piece for KK, Mikro, Jam, Traktor… but NI is late to that party and probably waiting for computer market to bring solutions… Idk…

• Esoterra
    Esoterra Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Glad I found this thread. I almost pulled the trigger on a a bunch of NI hardware and software. I finally got out of a Mexican prison after 40 years. My last set up was a Korg M1 and an Alesis MMT-8…..wow….technology and hardware have come such a long ways. I figured I’d send it headfirst, but getting used gear seems the smart play.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,304 Guru
    edited August 2023
    Options

Here's another rough cut:

16 continuous knobs instead of 8... screen right above is one long horizontal instead of current 2 small screens. In this example, it is displaying 2 rows of macros from Massive X... they show labeling and level of these 16 parameters to be manipulated with the actual knobs below.

The "4D-Push controller" on current Mk2 has been replaced with an "Apple laptop quality" trackpad with Muti-touch gestures for screen navigation and selection. Can also be navigation and selection for desktop screen GUI. Can also be used to record x/y modulation.

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 209 Advisor
    Options

For MK4, we should go landscape rather than square. It's almost all there, essentially the device just needs another row of sixteen step buttons like the Elektron so we can parameter lock stuff. Of course, there is a whole bunch of ideas how to make the next iteration of Maschine.

• BIF
    Options

Saw that in your other thread. No thanks, unless I can have other options to display. I want bigger on-device monitors first and foremost. Or the ability to use a smartphone or tablet to provide device-screen services.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,304 Guru
    Options

"....or tablet to provide device-screen services."

There ya go! 100%