Does anyone has experience with connecting a Korg Minilogue XD with Maschine MK3 properly?

Options
Nils1234
Nils1234 Member Posts: 10 Member

I am asking cause I have problems with Midi IN on Maschine Software side. Trying to "learn" the knobs of the Minilogue XD in Maschine Software doesn't work.

So my question is if someone has set this up completely fine yet and maybe we can have an exchange on that.

Best Answer

• Nils1234
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Now I got a reason and a solution which I want to share with you.

According to Korg Support, a special feature of the Minilogue XD is that it sends additionaly the CC63 value for some CC parameters to increase accuracy. Unfortunately, this function cannot be switched off. This additional parameter causes confusion in the Maschine software when learning the midi channels. Logic Pro X can handle this additional parameter better. It is hoped that the Maschine software will do this in a future update, or Korg will make this feature optional in their menu. Until then, you have to make it work with a midi filter that completely filters out the parameter CC63. I did this and now it works great.

Answers

• Nils1234
    Options

I think I need to specify my problem a little bit.

When I want to try to connect the Korg Minilogue XD with Maschine Software it doesn't work with MIDI IN in the software. When I want to learn a knob from the Synthesizer in the Macro Section it will not work with every knob on the keyboard. Only just a few will be recognized by the software. The other knobs will send something between 1-7 and it seems that the value jumps between 1-7. And no matter which knob I will use afterwards this macro will get this 1-7 value all the time.

I tried it with Logic Pro X on the same computer which is a M1 Max-Mac and it works fine. So it seems to be a Maschine Software Problem. I used another Intel-Mac to try and its the same issue and I even tried another Korg Minilogue XD in a shop to be sure that it is no hardware issue. The only thing I couldn't try is the Windows Version of Maschine Software.

Maybe someone can help me in that.

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 202 Advisor
    Options

Make sure you have the monologue midi input enable in Maschine’s settings.

TBH tho, you’re better off using the preset memory on the XD, as Maschine is limited to only 128 learnable midi input parameters (the midi input channel filter on the Maschine software is non functioning).

• Nils1234
    Options

Thank you for the tips. I already checked that Midi Input is enabled in the settings. Your statement the Midi Filter of Maschine Software ist not functioning. This could be the reason of this weird behaviour. Do you have something where i can into that issue more in detail?

• myalteredsoul
    Options

Drop a screenshot of your midi input settings on the channel you are trying to control.

• Nils1234
    Options
  • Nils1234
    Options

By the way.... when I try to "learn" the knob in Maschine it gets some CC Info but no matter which knob I try, it's always CC63. I don't know why its always CC63.

• Nils1234
    Options

Same behavior on an absolute clean install on another Intel Mac.

• awol9000
    awol9000 Member Posts: 69 Advisor
    Options

Have you tried din midi cables?

• Nils1234
    Options
  • awol9000
    awol9000 Member Posts: 69 Advisor
    edited April 2023
    Options

Strange. CC63 isn't even used by any parameter according to the manual.

I would try MIDI-OX to see what the Korg is transmitting on its knobs (just to confirm it's Maschine that's the problem).

• myalteredsoul
    Options

What is the midi channel on your XD sent to?

• Nils1234
    Options

Thanks for the tip to use a software for monitoring the midi action which comes from the minilogue XD.

I found out that from most knobs it's a mixture of the correct CC#Number of the knob and this strange CC#63. No matter which knob I try it sends the correct CC#Number of the knob plus the CC#63 with parameters from 1-7. (Screenshot 1)

There are a few knobs on the synth which works good like Portamento or the modulation wheel without the firing of CC#63 in between. (Screenshot 2 and 3).

And what I also found out is, that the synth is constantly firing a clock to the computer. (Screenshot 4) Where can I shut this off? I couldnt find anything?

So it seems that the Maschine Software is not the source of this faulty behavior. I can imagine that the reason why Logic Pro X worked fine, that this software could filter out this faulty firing of CC#63 and Maschine does not.

I guess I need to go to the KORG Support now. But maybe you folks have an idea where this comes from?

Thanks in advance.

• Nils1234
    Options
  • myalteredsoul
    Options

As a workaround, you can manually type in the cc values using the midi implementation chart.

• Nils1234
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Now I got a reason and a solution which I want to share with you.

According to Korg Support, a special feature of the Minilogue XD is that it sends additionaly the CC63 value for some CC parameters to increase accuracy. Unfortunately, this function cannot be switched off. This additional parameter causes confusion in the Maschine software when learning the midi channels. Logic Pro X can handle this additional parameter better. It is hoped that the Maschine software will do this in a future update, or Korg will make this feature optional in their menu. Until then, you have to make it work with a midi filter that completely filters out the parameter CC63. I did this and now it works great.