Maschine+ mixing

Options
2»

Answers

• Hubbabub
    Hubbabub Member Posts: 9 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you, a true hero :)

I'll try it out tonight. Regarding CPU usage it is not a great concern for me personally, I hardly use any internal synths so there is "a lot" of CPU to take from. Good to hear that consecutive instances don't consume as much though!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 607 Guru
    Options

Bumping this thread because I have made progress with the compressor a bit. I am assuming you want a comp with a sidechain input, like the internal Maschine one has? And you are looking to compress drums/percussion especially, since you agonized over the envelope control times?

I have something which can squash & snap, a rudimentary design based on R6 Core compressor module. Just need to suss out how to effectively enable switching between internal/external sidechain, and to add dry/wet control, then its just a matter of tidying up the UI for M+

• Hubbabub
    Options

Exciting, squash and snap sounds great :) If it's tricky to get a switchable sidechain working then I wouldn't have a problem loading different plugins, one for internal compression and one for sidechain compression (if that is what you meant)?

• tetsuneko
    edited April 2023
    Options

well, squash and snap just means the comp is fast enough to either clamp on the transients or alternatively, slow enough to let transients through with drum/percussion material.

As for the sidechain, it kind of has to be inside the same ensemble or it's not possible at all (Reaktor has no method of communicating across multiple instances within Maschine). I just want to try a couple of things before I wrap things up. I even managed to sort of get a "Gain Reduction" metering going with the ens, problem is the Maschine parameter page stops updating the values approx 1 second after switching to the page with the GR display parameters.. And I have no idea why..! I'll probably still leave them in place, so at least there will be some sort of indicator about how much GR is taking place...

• tetsuneko
    Options

Ok, can you test if this works on your M+?

Let me explain the sidechain for you

If this ens load like it should, you will see a SC SELECT switch on the second parameter page in M+. Set that switch to EXTERNAL (it's on INTERNAL by default) and then use the standard Maschine sidechain settings on page 3 to target your sidechain as normally. SC WIDTH collapses the Compressor key input progressively towards mono, with a value of 0 = 100% mono signal, regardless if SC SELECT is in INTERNAL or EXTERNAL.

Let me know how it goes!

• tetsuneko
    Options

say, @Hubbabub did you ever get to testing R6C Comp? Interested in hearing your thoughts..

• Hubbabub
    Options

I'm so sorry for late feedback @tetsuneko ! I had another child so things have been a bit chaotic... Now things are starting to settle and I have some time again for music stuff :) I tested the R6C comp and it works fantastic for getting that pumping effect so I would say mission accomplished! I tried using your compressor and lowcut on a song (on most channels) and noticed there started to become some input delay in the audio signals from the external synths. Haven't investigated properly to pinpoint what effect is causing this, or if it is just Maschine itself introducing lag when a project starts growing. Any ideas? Really thankful for all the effort you put in with the effects, it's a great addition to Maschine+.

• tetsuneko
    edited August 2023
    Options

oh that. I noticed there is some suspicious event handling going on under the hood in Maschine. If you run into latency issues, I recommend stopping playback and starting playback from the beginning, this seems to update the scheduler somehow and restores previous timing.

I have long suspected that using Reaktor stuff in Maschine might become problematic due to Maschine not having any onboard PDC. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do about it. You can try messing with your input compensation settings in the SETTING pages, in case that helps getting a better synch with external gear, but that's about it..

And big congrats on the lil one!

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    Options

I just saw the Clarity M tool and I think that’s exactly what I need to for monitoring on my M+. How exactly were you feeding audio into that because from what I understand the unit doesn’t take a typical TRS cable input it’s either usb or optical?

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    Options

Hey @tetsuneko did you ever implement the side eq attentuation for LowKut?

• Hubbabub
    Options

I have an audio interface (Behringer UMC1820) connected to the Maschine. Clarity M is then connected to the SPDIF out (RCA) and every group in Maschine sends AUX to the SPDIF output. As I understood it USB only works with a computer when you have the driver installed.

• tetsuneko
    Options

havent done that yet.. been on holiday, far away from Maschine and my dev laptop. Maybe should revisit it one of these days.. just need to find some simple MS encode/decode examples from the RUL to dissect