Maschine Plus Mixer Master Channel Strip

Sir_Kato
Sir_Kato Member Posts: 9 Member

Hi everyone! I'm sitting here feeling like a complete idiot, as I'm tryin to simply view my master channel strip to reference the output level. For the life of me, there seems to be no mention in the manual, and google search gives me naught.

In mixer mode there is info an groups and sounds, but I cannot seem to find the master channel strip to view the meter. Am I looking for something that isn't there? If so, am I alone in feeling that this is important?

I appreciate any help possible as I recently got this bad boy and I absolutely love it so far, and feel like this is too important to be left out of the product!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Oh, I just remembered a workaround... It's very far from a perfect solution but gives you a big meter with a clipping red warning:

The Sampling menu, just pick the Master as the Input Source. humm...

Answers

• Sir_Kato

Rocking it standalone here, for reference.

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 76 Helper

If you mean you’re looking for a meter like when you hit the mixer button I don’t think there is one for the master that I’m aware of. I export out of Maschine to master in another DAW (usually Logic) for what that’s worth.

-Mk3 user

• D-One
    edited April 2023

There is a tiny Master meter next to your project BPM on the first left screen if you're on the Plug-In>Master menu... It's utterly unusable due to it's size tho... It won't tell you if you're clipping either, which is kind of what matters since in standalone mode there's an output vol knob. 🤷‍♂️

The Maschine Studio has some LEDs for output amongst other things, I miss them...

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru

The Maschine Studio has some LEDs for output amongst other things, I miss them...

Right?

Of all the stuff from the studio; the only thing I really miss is simply being able to reference those meters. I didn't realize just how often I looked at them until I switched to M+

• D-One

Yeah... Even a horizontal bigger meter on-screen in the mixer or something would be better than nothing.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

That's one of the nice features of the Jam is that you get dedicated hardware meters.

• D-One
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Oh, I just remembered a workaround... It's very far from a perfect solution but gives you a big meter with a clipping red warning:

The Sampling menu, just pick the Master as the Input Source. humm...

• 2A2E
    2A2E Member Posts: 30 Member

I got a used Jam for that... works nice with the M+ But of course also takes a lot of valuable desk space. But the led meters for the tracks and master are really nice. Also with Ableton.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,283 Expert

Another workaround if you want could be sending all of your groups outputs to an empty group (that will become your Master), so that you can see this group level on the mixer. And eventually also add effects to this group (like eq or whatever you want) practically making those effects become your master fx strip.

• LostInFoundation

As an example, let’s say you have group A: drums, group B: bass and group C: melody. You send all their outputs to group D and you call it Master. Voilà, now you have a (fake) Master showing up in your mixer.

Naturally, group D output will be the only one assigned to the “real” Master

• LostInFoundation

But D-One workaround gives you an even bigger meter to look at…but not the volume knob you’ll have in the mixer with your group D “Master”

• Sir_Kato

This was my next step. It's least cumbersome of them I feel, I'll likely just dedicate Group A as a stand in master since I'll be using this for live sets quite heavily. It feels a bit disappointing to not have what I believe is a critical feature for anyone who likes their audio without unplanned distortion.

I mean literally just one level up in the mixer mode, and If I remember correctly it's there on the MK3. If there's any situation where you should actually need a master channel meter on a maschine, it's this loool. I absolutely love this thing, but imho this feels like legit puuuuure laziness woooww.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer, praying to the universe for an update sharpish.

P.S. Where is the appropriate place to call NI's attention to this?

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

Unfortunately it would probably require travel to another dimension where NI is so financially successful they maintained independence and didn't lay off so many talented developers. ☹️

But some of us want to (or need to) be optimistic about a positive future for NI so we keep trying to encourage them not to give up despite sometimes seemingly dark times.

• D-One
    edited April 2023

@Sir_Kato

Where is the appropriate place to call NI's attention to this?

You can make a feature request thread, get an answer like "Thanks for sharing your thoughts" and your request will sit there, with all the other ones. As a customer, I think you should make noise, but... keep expectations low.

Layoff doesn't necessarily mean a company is not profitable, at all. Google layoff 12,000 employees and it's the 4th biggest market cap company on the planet. The snail pace of Maschine has been happening since way before soundwide, it just got way worse in recent years.