Any chance the Kontrol X1 MK1 will be M1 in the future or should I just throw it away?

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

One can hardly expect new driver on HW that is EOL for almost 10 years. And beside that, X1 MK1 runs just fine on Win, so it is possible to use it without problems.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

Sell it and get yourself and MK2 version. Problem solved.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    edited July 2022

Well if these were made class compliant… I can use my vestax pad one, vci, samson conspiracy among other discontinnued (or directly bankrupt and buried brands) hardware without any issue and these work with M1 too.

It’s the OS or chip platform the true problem or the brand strategy and technical debt?

I only see excuses…

• Kubrak

It runs on Windows. If it did not have class compliant driver at time of purchase, one cannot expect it will get it later....

I would not expect, it was not compliant on purpose. X1 Mk2 that came two, three years later (and replaced MK1) is class compliant, I guess....

• Mutis

idk if mk2 is fully class compliant. Some gear is half compliant like z1 which has audio compliancy but not hid/midi so only worked with NI apps in iPad.

it’s just how NI strategy goes and they could fix it if they wanted (or almost fix that design strategy).

As I said “older gear from vestax work on everything for being class compliant” and that includes windows and linux.

• Kubrak

One may choose beforehand, what product they use and what product suits their needs. If it is not NI gear, there is bunch of others.

There is no problem with X1 on Win. And most of other gear and SW. It is not fault of NI that Apple does not maintain OS compatibility.

Maybe that NI does some kind of HW-SW dependency on purpose, I cannot judge, as it may also have technical reasons.... But even if it is so.... It is funny that Apple users do blame NI for HW-SW "locking". Apple does much worse things in that respect and they accept it in that case.....

So, if you dislike such practices firstly avoid Apple and then you have the right to complain... But then, there is no reason to complain as there are not compatibility problems.

If one deliberately decides live in restricted Apple world, then it has certain consequences. Saying that, I do not say WinWorld is ideal. It has its own problems..... Still most of people prefer live in this world and not shiny, easy Apple one.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,130 Guru

It is not fault of NI that Apple does not maintain OS compatibility

Hear hear. That would be my response too.

• Mutis

Yes yes but in the end AS is the priority because is a profitable market. Period.

Blame Apple if you want but fact points NI needs to support them not the opposite even they are doing it with Rosetta and specific sdk etc.

Did it wintel when they try to go Arm? Who knows but in the end didn’t worked.

Will do it in the future or found a better solution? Who knows but nobody cares.

Apple is Apple, take it or forget it but all the excuses are harming NI not the opposite.

I still can use my class compliant anywhere even with standalone hardware like 1010m blackbox but not NI hardware… It’s that fault of Apple too?

C’mon…

• Kubrak

Of course Microsoft did it. There is something like Rosetta 2 in ARM Win for years..... If I think about it, maybe Apple has licenced it from MS or Intel.... ARM for Win did not work much as there is no real reason to use ARM on Win.... It would have meaning in tablets and wearables.... But why using Win in that case? There is android or iThings..... x86 brings what Win users need, no need for ARM...

You cannot use X1 Mk2 with 1010m blackbox?

• nicolpo2004
    nicolpo2004 Member Posts: 1 Member

Yesterdey I plug my x1 on my old Macbook Pro with Intel i5 (with Monterrey) where drivers where installed before upgrade to Monterrey, and when I opened traktor X1 was working normally.

Now I have a new macbook Air with Apple Silicon M1 with Monterrey too, and there is no way to got it working. Could be possible copy the drivers from some folder (where the divers were placed) from one monterrey to another or it couldnt work because the M1 processor ?.

regards form argentina

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 414 Guru

The driver needs to be native to work on M1, there’s no way around it.

X1 should be class compliant, then it would work as midi controller without drivers.

Unfortunately, it is not. I would not buy/keep anything nowadays without class-compliant mode for Mac.

• Opa
    Opa Member Posts: 4 Member

If anyone interested I'm currently developing a small application that aims to convert the USB events to MIDI events.

You can find it here https://github.com/Opa-/x1-mk1-usb2midi

At the moment I did not do any package of it so you have to build the code yourself with Rust and have libusb installed but once I'm done implementing all the features I'll think about packaging it :)

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,357 Expert

Pretty cool.

People are also looking for this with the s4 mk3, so they can use it with other programs :D

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 308 Pro
  • Matram
    Matram Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hey mate is there a chance to find a step by step guide for dummies in order to install it? 🤩

Thanks!!! 🙏