Cloudlabs v3 - Blocks/Racks enabled! Any Buchla interested people around?

2»

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 795 Guru

I had a go at the polykrell idea using sample and holds to build a shift register for chords. Worked pretty well... better than expected anyway!

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    edited February 2022

I watched ten of the krellberg videos, they are marvelous!

I am not done exploring your single krell patch. Did you know that wonderful things happen if you crank the carrier FM knob up? It's like a trio of whale song, Hendrix and R2-D2 doing call and response

• Murat Kayi

Much to my utter surprise there seems to be no cycling envelope with modulatable rise/fall times among the 600+ nano blocks!

@colB I've been playing with your patch for hours (the single one). I noticed that the audio from the LPG has a DC offset and I wonder why that is. There is a voltage processor adding bias to the voltage coming from the s&h, but why would that carry on through the output of the oscillator?

• colB
    edited February 2022

I don't have nano blocks so not sure about that. Any envelope block with a cycle mode and standard modulatable controls over the attack and decay would be applicable, but the West Coast CFG is ideal. No need to re-invent the wheel ;)

I suppose there is always the possibility to generate DC offsets when there is a lot of self modulation going on. Maybe low frequency sidebands pulling the signal +ve or -ve.. or something like that, it does seem to move around, so not 100% DC, just very low frequencies. Just stick a Bento Box SVF set to high pass mode with cutoff at ~15Hz between the DWG and the LPG, and that will remove any significant DC offset.

btw, good call on the whale sounds :). Personally, I like the woodwind effects... like bassoon, oboe, clarinet all morphing between each other and a bunch of alternative undefinable sounds. I think in part that's a consequence of modulating the fold amount at audio frequencies

• bolabo
    bolabo Member Posts: 97 Advisor
    edited February 2022

The buchla approach generates slightly more high end and more interesting harmonics than the cloudlabs folder. It also tops out to something that starts to look and sound a bit like a square wave..

I've been working on a new wavefolder block based on the buchla, I can send it to you guys by DM if you want to try it.

Much to my utter surprise there seems to be no cycling envelope with modulatable rise/fall times among the 600+ nano blocks!

Haha, yeah I think you're right.

You could loop the AD Envelope like this:

Or do it in a more convoluted way with 2 'Segment' blocks:

But yeah, as Colin said the CFG is pretty perfect.

• colB
    edited February 2022

I've been working on a new wavefolder block based on the buchla, I can send it to you guys by DM if you want to try it

No need, I have a reasonable approximation going already ;)

• bolabo

Oh brilliant! :)

• Murat Kayi
    edited February 2022

Yes! I hoped this would attract your attention sooner or later, hahaha. Need to check up on all the info in here, later, but for now: The two segment set up is what I put together late last night and that for me is the most attractive thing about the nano blocks. If you can't find it, you can probably build it!

• colB

If you can't find it, you can probably build it!

That's true about modular in general. True for Reaktor primary, and core - both modular. Also true for the Factory Library Blocks Base and Primes.

e.g. earlier I posted a rack that uses a shift register... but wait, there is no shift register in the Library... 1 x CFG and three times sample and hold... shift register ready for action!

modular==win!

Obviously the more tools the better - good to not have to use 5 modules when there is one that can do the job... but sometimes the modularised version offers more flexibility... so it's a trade off

e.g. shift register again... an off the shelf shift register just gives inputs for gate and cv, and shifted CV ouputs. But if you build one, you can play about with the individual trigger times for the different stages, and get interesting effects as the changes in CV at the different outputs are staggered instead of simultaneous... and then you can modulate or sequence that... so more options open up!

I made a little minimalist generative ditty using this approach a while back on my eurorack. At about 58 seconds in, it changes from kinda arpeggiation to chord stabs, but still with a slight delay giving a kind of strummy, or ensemble effect. That was me changing the trigger delay on a patched shift register. Hmm, I forgot this uses another funky modular trick - all notes generated by sending clock divisions to a mixer, then through a quantiser. Works OK - I generally prefer this kind of thing to random notes, seems like there is more structure... although that might just be cognitive bias?

• Murat Kayi

@bolabo when i use two segments to makes to make them cycle, i get an unexpected stop when i change the curve positively on the first one. I guess it's because the designated target level is reached, but it happens very fast and then the cycle stops completely. What is going on there?

• bolabo

Yes I noticed that too. I’ll fix the block and DM it over for you to try.

• Murat Kayi

Still need to try the fixed blocks, but for now, I am nesting Krell functions and it's great fun. I have it running for quite a while during doing work on the computer and find it soothing. I guess something is wrong with me, lmao!

I've been doing that in VCV for a change.

• elad
    elad Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

How do you put new cables in the cloudlab v3.0?