Registering product, bought second hand, no contact with previous owner

Dtownlenny
Dtownlenny Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I am trying to use my M32 midi controller but I am unable to register it as I bought it second hand and there’s no way of getting a hold of the previous owner. When I try to enter the serial number it comes back saying invalid serial, I have triple checked that I am not entering it in with any mistakes

is there a way to solve this? I cannot contact the person that had it before so how am I supposed to be able to do a license transfer. It is in perfect condition and turns on fine and initially the controller was working with my ggd invasion vst, but it suddenly stopped working and I am getting no sound when using it. I have gone into my daw and enabled it’s use and set the input and outputs correctly and it will show that it is registering the sound in the waveforms but I still get no sound. I have no idea what to do here I assume this has to do do with the registration issue but if that was it why did it work for a short period?

Best Answer

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,110 admin
    Answer ✓

Better check this thread : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/1445/all-you-need-to-know-about-license-transfer

Selling a hardware / software bundle (like a TRAKTOR KONTROL S3, MASCHINE MK3 or KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard) is as easy as selling a single software product. You can unregister the hardware in your user account and will receive a License Transfer ID that you can pass to the new buyer. After the buyer has imported the License Transfer ID to their own account, they will receive the same software bundle as you, the original owner.

In short, this means that the seller keeps the software that came with the hardware - and the new owner receives it as well. This way, all potential upgrade paths, that are based on that software, stay intact.

🚨 Please note that there are a few exceptions with older products. For these products, the software license shows a tag that the license has to be transferred to the new user by our Account Support team 

Answers

• Matt_NI
    Answer ✓

Better check this thread : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/1445/all-you-need-to-know-about-license-transfer

Selling a hardware / software bundle (like a TRAKTOR KONTROL S3, MASCHINE MK3 or KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard) is as easy as selling a single software product. You can unregister the hardware in your user account and will receive a License Transfer ID that you can pass to the new buyer. After the buyer has imported the License Transfer ID to their own account, they will receive the same software bundle as you, the original owner.

In short, this means that the seller keeps the software that came with the hardware - and the new owner receives it as well. This way, all potential upgrade paths, that are based on that software, stay intact.

🚨 Please note that there are a few exceptions with older products. For these products, the software license shows a tag that the license has to be transferred to the new user by our Account Support team 

• Dtownlenny
    Dtownlenny Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I understand all that but I have no contact with the previous owner so that being said my purchase is useless then correct?

• Matt_NI

Not necessarily. If you have proof of purchase, the team might be able to assist in any case. Just contact them with the form I suggested and they'll have a look for you.

• Adamisme
    Adamisme Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Did you ever get this figured out? I recently purchased a used MK3 legally with two receipts to back up the purchase. I emailed NI period of purchase, along with serial and device IDs. The previous owner is not responding to NI messages (I purchased through a company who themselves purchased from an auction. I’m guessing it was either a case of someone dying or their storage unit was repossessed). So NI instruments is refusing to transfer the software registration and I’m unable to use the instrument.

I’m wondering if it’s legal for a company like NI to dictate who can use a product that, as a company, they no longer legally own since they sold it? I can’t think of another commercial product whose use is controlled by the company throughout its lifetime.