Traktor Kontrol S3 + USB Hub or USB Extender

Deesko
Deesko Member Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

I would like to put my studio/Traktor laptop in one place and use it at both my production workstation and my DJ console without having to plug/unplug everything over and over again but the S3 really wants to be plugged directly into a USB port on the laptop, which kills any USB hubs etc, even with the power cord connected to the S3.

Anyone had any luck getting a USB hub or even an active USB extender to work with these controllers or maybe with a USB-C based hub?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Deesko
    Answer ✓

So, yes the in & out ports shows the S3, but I don't have the LED options on the Controller Options menu for the S3. All I have are transport options. I'm on the newest version of Traktor so I guess they just don't offer those options for the s3.

BUT... I think I figured it out, even if it makes no sense.

I connected a duplicate USB hub to the USB 2.0 port on my laptop vs. the USB 3.0 port and viola! All lights are on and all functions are working. Very weird why it would work on the 2.0 and not the 3.0 port but whatever. I also noticed if I unplug the power cord in this set up the lights stay on but do dim considerably, which is also fine.

Next test will be whether an active USB extender will work with the hub and the 2.0 port.

Thanks for the help! Documentation and info on the s3 is still pretty sparse.

Answers

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022

If your computer has usb-c then you should be able to use a powered hub. Make sure the hub you get can output 2amps per each individual usb socket.

• Deesko

Interesting new note... I'm using a USB 3 port on a brand new laptop, into a USB 3 powered hub that claims to support up to 2.4a per port and just realized I can actually use the Kontrol S3 meaning it will load up tracks, all of the cue and loop functions and buttons work, change decks etc but NONE of the lights are on so it looked like it wasn't working.

It also works the same with the power supply unplugged from the unit. Is it possible the power supply is bad (meaning no lights) and all this time I thought it was a USB hub issue? Is there a specific setting to enable the lights when not on the external power supply?

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro

Can you check in the controller manager if the in/out ports are reading Kontrol S3 here?

And check the led brightness state here.

You must have the power supply plugged it to get full brightness.

• Deesko
    Answer ✓

So, yes the in & out ports shows the S3, but I don't have the LED options on the Controller Options menu for the S3. All I have are transport options. I'm on the newest version of Traktor so I guess they just don't offer those options for the s3.

BUT... I think I figured it out, even if it makes no sense.

I connected a duplicate USB hub to the USB 2.0 port on my laptop vs. the USB 3.0 port and viola! All lights are on and all functions are working. Very weird why it would work on the 2.0 and not the 3.0 port but whatever. I also noticed if I unplug the power cord in this set up the lights stay on but do dim considerably, which is also fine.

Next test will be whether an active USB extender will work with the hub and the 2.0 port.

Thanks for the help! Documentation and info on the s3 is still pretty sparse.