Can Maschine quantize live playing?

AlluringSkull
AlluringSkull Member Posts: 29 Member

I would like to quantize my playing live so that if i play slightly out of time it will correct my sloppy playing. I know it is possible to quantize midi after recording but I am wanting to make the correction live. I am using Link to synch maschine to DJ software. This makes it possible to keep the clocks in time but does nothing to keep playing pads live in time. I have quantize set to play/rec but it does not seem to change anything. Wondering where im going wrong? In the attached photos there are a couple synch/midi settings I am unable to use for some reason.

1."synch" in the top right header

2."receive clock" under midi tab.

Wondering why these are unable to be used and if they are contributing to me being unable to quantize my live pads. Any input at all would be GREATLY appreciated. Ive been trying to figure this one out for a long time. Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tom Mosler
    Tom Mosler Member Posts: 15 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Excerpt from manual: https://www.native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/maschine-mk3-manual/en/basic-concepts#preferences---general-page

Input

Quantize

Automatically quantizes your input to MASCHINE as you record.

Select one of the following Input Quantization modes:

• None: Input Quantization is deactivated. Events you play or record on the pads are not quantized.
    • Record: Input Quantization is applied only when you record the pads.
    • Play/Rec: Input Quantization is applied both when you play on the pads and when you record them. In Play/Rec mode, the quantization applied while playing is slightly different from the quantization applied while recording: When recording, all events are quantized to the closest step, possibly ahead of the event. When playing, events occurring in the first half of the steps are left untouched (since you cannot bring them forward in time!) whereas events occurring in the second half of the steps are quantized to the next step.

In your case Play/Rec should help. Try also using Note Repeat.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello,

the options you show here are, top picture: synced switch of sections, second picture: sync to/with external equipment - you look for input quantize but i don't know for sure if maschine has this, it has record quantize for sure but i never use it. You can only try to press "shift + grid" and set quantize to play/rec.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I guess there is not live quantize and I guess it is technically impossible, unless there is high latency introduced. If one hits a bit after the beat, the beat should be moved back in time....

There could be sort of half quantize. If one hits a bit sooner before the beat, it is accordingly delayed....

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Exactly i also think that it will be the case for maschine, if you need it synced you have to use a step sequencer

• AlluringSkull
    AlluringSkull Member Posts: 29 Member

Thanks for the input guys I was able to get some level of quantization by adjusting the grid. As you mentioned it can fix early hits but cant to much to rewind time and make me play notes sooner 😂 Thanks again

• Tom Mosler
    Tom Mosler Member Posts: 15 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Excerpt from manual: https://www.native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/maschine-mk3-manual/en/basic-concepts#preferences---general-page

Input

Quantize

Automatically quantizes your input to MASCHINE as you record.

Select one of the following Input Quantization modes:

• None: Input Quantization is deactivated. Events you play or record on the pads are not quantized.
    • Record: Input Quantization is applied only when you record the pads.
    • Play/Rec: Input Quantization is applied both when you play on the pads and when you record them. In Play/Rec mode, the quantization applied while playing is slightly different from the quantization applied while recording: When recording, all events are quantized to the closest step, possibly ahead of the event. When playing, events occurring in the first half of the steps are left untouched (since you cannot bring them forward in time!) whereas events occurring in the second half of the steps are quantized to the next step.

In your case Play/Rec should help. Try also using Note Repeat.