Logic now available for iPad - thoughts?

Comments

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,116 Expert

@nico5 There's a difference between a desktop (your everyday PC) and an embedded device (Maschine+). Linux just sucks at being a relevant desktop OS. It's ideal for powering servers or Maschine+, no doubt, but people don't mean such use cases when they want NI software to run on their PC.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited May 2023

@nico5

p.s. quoting on this forum software still sucks!

Well, it could be a bit easier, it is not intuitive by any means, but it works....

1) Copy/paste the citation.

2) Go to the inserted paragraph. Left of the frame pops up icon (sort of flipped P). Click on it. Toolbar pops up. Select "". Drop down menu opens. Select Quote. Done.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

Oooooooh like this it is working on the iPad too!

Thank you very much for teaching me this 👍🏼

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

2) Go to the inserted paragraph. Left of the frame pops up icon (sort of flipped P). Click on it. Toolbar pops up. Select "". Drop down menu opens. Select Quote. Done.

Wow I didn't know you could do that - very hidden - bad design

• Kubrak

D-One has tought me that. I would not discover it without his precious help....

It is TOP-SECRET forum feature designed for VIP users. ;-)

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

Thanks.. handy to do partial quotes. But hopefully a proper quote tool is coming that will keep quote source attribution.

• Kubrak

Well one has to write it by hand, now. That is the main obstacle, beside discovering how to do citation at all.

Solution might be, web would add it to clipboard automatically when copying from forum.... Not perfect, but better than present state.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

Yeah partial quotes are my #1 issue with this forum provider, it's insanely annoying even on a desktop. In mobile I don't even try as select-copy/paste on tiny phones is a nightmare for me.

The provider devs have this strange stupid philosophy that editing quotes can put words in other people's mouths, like were are 12yr or won't have mods or something, they neither provide a way to partial quote nor allow to edit them to isolate parts as the previous forum did. 😡It really breaks the context of some replies and the flow of conversation.

I don't remember a single time when someone edited a quote to make someone look bad or anything similar in more than 10 years in NI forums.

• Kubrak

OK, if developers have that "fear", they could implement simple thing. One would select section of text that should be cited and it would be placed in that noneditable box. But complete visible, not just a tiny fraction (I usually do not click the box to read what is not seen without clicking. That kills the reading flow).

I do not remember ever someone has changed citation in the way to hurt citated person, ever. Some people modify it to make it more readable adding bolds and so, but mostly say, that it is their modification of the original.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited May 2023

@D-One

I don't remember a single time when someone edited a quote to make D-ONE look INTELLIGENT or anything similar in more than 10 years in NI forums.

There’s always a first time…😂😂😂

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

haahha 😂

Yeah, exactly. Some providers have similar solutions, usually, it just quotes whatever text portion is highlighted, but this provider seems to have other priorities. I'm pretty sure Matt asked them about this a few times.

• nico5
    nico5 Member Posts: 49 Helper

I guess my problem is with framing conversations that use the term Linux in the same way as Windows or MacOS.

Linux is often used as an umbrella term for a wide variety of operating systems that use the same core kernel.

There's no such thing as a "desktop Linux". There are numerous different operating systems (often called "distributions") built around a Linux kernel.

And I'm not intending to just be pedantic, but I honestly think that the continued mis-framing of Linux results in missed opportunities for lots of companies not called Apple or Microsoft.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if NI built a really well powered Maschine++ with big CPU, RAM and storage with an open plugin standard.

• nightjar

I sometimes wonder what would happen if NI built a really well powered Maschine++ with big CPU, RAM and storage with an open plugin standard.

Let an iPad be the "big CPU, RAM and storage" and NI can focus on AUv3 VI plugins and high-quality controllers for user input.

• Kubrak

NI can use Win tablet, now. No need to port their SW to anything else. There is solution right now, no need to seek another one....

• nightjar

There certainly IS a need if NI wants to stay relevant. Market energy and growth.

Plus, NI offers zero controllers optimized for this approach.