best midi mode jogwheel scratching setting Traktor S4 mk1??

6xes
6xes Member Posts: 640 Pro
edited March 5 in Mapping Traktor

i have been mapping my S4 mk1 on my m1 mac using the S4's midi mode.... theres a huge difference in the scratch sound when using midi mode versus default S4 controller mapping

would anyone know the best settings that would closely imitate the default S4 mk1 mapping, using the jogwheel in midi mode??

ive tried many variations and they just dont sound the same

Answers

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,654 mod

There will always be an off set if you try to scratch with MIDI. That is why advanced HID exists.

Looking forward to seeing if MIDI.2 can change that direction.

• 6xes
    edited May 2023

just out of curiousity,,, is the default mapping using the mentioned Advanced HID??

ive heard about HID and how midi is unable to compete... i was under the impression that becos the S4 maps midi and utilises midi, but not midi in the standard default configuration??

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,654 mod

Yes, that is correct. When midi mapping a Jog Turn command, ensure that one full revolution of the jog wheel equals 4 beats at the tempo that you are usualy playing. That is your default and probably the best setting.

Maybe try running Windows 11 via the Fusion Player with free account and get the HID mapping instead. I used to run this on my mac mini to get access to CMDR and it is easy as switching virtual desktops. (CMD+Arrow keys)

• 6xes
    edited May 2023

i had experimented with playonmac & parallels just to see how the audio behaves in a virtual enviroment... also to see if the S4 mk1 drivers could be implemented.

the drivers failed although seem to install, did not register with the S4... for whatever reason..

on top of that... the sound glitching in the virtual windows enviroment, is unuable... & although audio applications would install, their was noticeable glitchyness.

so i am routing(S4mk1) the midi ports physically from a PC based computer and using bomes to basically have 2 modes, the HID on the PC & switching to midi mode to control the S4 mk1 on the M1Mac... which works quite well... aside from the jog well aspect, mapping the knobs etc messes things up, when switching back to PC HID default traktor mode

that said i experimented more with midi mapping(for the M1mac side) and took onboard your advice of 1 revolution matching the 4 beats... these settings for the S4 midi mode... are the ones im currently using...

oddly i could not get 21% on the rotary sensitivity... as i thought that was going to be the sweetspot... every other percentage was available except 21% very odd!! hence the added 2% acceleration *shrugs

• 6xes

i adjusted the setting yet again.. it mimics the revolution amount on the S4 mk1 HID setting... but it is not as smooth as the HID mode... good enough

inside control editor S4 also needs to be adjusted as well

mode relative/step 1/ticks 20

• rioprasetio
    rioprasetio Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi, how your M1 Mac can ready the S4 Mk1? I've tried a lot of ways but my M1 Mac would not read the S4 Mk1, even just as a midi controller. Did you use the MIDI to USB converter cable?

• 6xes

Hi...

i didnt do a great job conveying how i was getting the S4 mk1 unit to control Traktor on the M1 Mac mini..

so to put it simply... i have the S4 mk1 plugged into a windowsPC where the S4 mk1 can send midi across a virtual midi link that is established... or again midi out of the S4 mk1 to a midi-in unit on the M1 Mac mini...

So the key part here to understand is the S4 mk1 is running on a WindowsPC... but the midi signals are sent to the M1 Mac mini to control Traktor...

now one might ask... why not just use Traktor on the WindowsPC... why send it across to the M1 to control that side.. this question is irrelevant... as im control both PC & M1 Mac with a single controller

coming back to does the S4 mk1 work with the M1 natively, meaning S4 mk1 plugged into the m1.. the answer from my experience is "no"