Best way to progressively layer MIDI events over multiple scenes

JRGariano
JRGariano Member Posts: 22 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

I use Maschine+ exclusively in standalone mode. I have a song comprised of three verses, each of which I've set up as it's own scene. The song has a string part which, in the first verse is a single line of notes, and then in the second verse I add another line of notes on top of that, and in the third verse I add another line on top of that (such that the third verse of the song has three lines of notes comprising something akin to triads as I move through the chords of the verse).

Right now, I have this implemented as three different patterns (verse 1, verse 2, verse 3) within my group called Strings. However, that means there is a copy of the first line of notes in the second and third patterns, and a copy of the second line of notes in the third pattern. The problem with that is, if I want to change the notes in the first line, I have to change it in three places, likewise changing the second line of notes requires making changes in two places.

Another way I thought of doing this is to have three groups - String Line 1, String Line 2, and String Line 3 - that I call up progressively using the scenes in Song Mode. But then I wouldn't get to see all three lines of notes together in the pattern view for the third verse (or both lines of notes for the second verse) which helps me in composing.

What is the most efficient technique for layering on additional MIDI events as you progress through scenes in a song?

Tagged:

Comments

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

If you load the same instrument in 3 soundsin the same group and instead of patterns you set up 3 lock states of muting sounds 2 and 3 and then only sound 3, you can change any line at any time within one group and it will always reflect on what happens across the 3 lock states.

There is, however, no way that I know of that shows piano roll style note events across sounds or groups. It only shows up in individual sounds

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

@Murat Kayi but the lock states are not tied to scenes, are they?

As you said, there’s no way to see events for different Groups/Sounds at the same time except in Pad view… but there you lose pitch.

I think there’s no way around having 3 Patterns and edit all of them.

• JRGariano
    JRGariano Member Posts: 22 Member

Ok, thanks. I'll look into the lock states suggestion from Murat Kayi to see how that compares to my other method.

• Murat Kayi

Hi, no they are not. It would mean a different approach to structuring the arrangement. I do that a lot and actually like it, but it might not be for others. There is more than one way to do things with Maschine most of the time and when there seems to be no way it means you have to adapt or be very ingenious about how you get there.

But sometimes we're just out of luck and have to let go of things. In this case it will basically come down to decide what is more important: seeing the polyphonic lines or being able to change them on the fly globally

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert
    edited February 2022

@Murat Kayi wrote:

If you load the same instrument in 3 soundsin the same group and instead of patterns you set up 3 lock states.

I gave this some more thought. You still end up with not seeing all of the 3 lines in the same event view. The only advantage is not having duplicates… but instead you have to manually play the arrangement.

I’d prefer to keep one Pattern with all 3 lines as base for editing and template. Then copy that over the other patterns and remove the unneded lines. If the lines are in different registers, that can be done pretty fast with the Selection in Event mode.

• Murat Kayi

Yeah, I actually play my arrangements very often - the Jam makes that fun. It's a trade-off in this situation. Wonder what OP says about it, having tried it