StandAlone maschine mk3 + ableton live = Link, Start stop Buton

PspkCz
PspkCz Member Posts: 9 Member

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you for help because Im overhelmed by setting and trying things, I want contiue compose but these settings taking my energy...

According to my reasearch I decidet to use my Ableton porject and maschine app connected with link. Pushing link button is not problem, everything is connected BUT.

When Im pressing play button on maschine, only maschine app will start playing..

I need to set also ableton to play and stop same time because:

I have opened project with 16th bars and on maschine aswel, than i want to record fx and groove on maschine and than simply drag and drop what i created from maschine to ableton = because i want to have full acces with maschine controler with maschine app and dont have letancy and ****** according to my research on youtube. Also i wasnt quite happy using maschine as a VSTI...

please give to me your advice how you work in combo with maschine and ableton and how can I set this beasts.

Working on last update M1 max, last update of maschine.app and firmware in maschine mk3 ..

In ableton setting : start stop button is ON,

I tried in midi setting diferent setting with maschine but without good result..

I tried also change midiCC ( play 94, stop 93 or somehow like that ) in native control but im not sure if i did good

Thank you for help

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Maschine uses an old version of Link, they never updated it to the 2017 version that has start/stop sync... 🤷‍♂️

For your purposes good old MIDI Clock works fine, all you need to set it up is:

Since you're on Mac you can even go a step further and route Maschine software Pads/Groups to Ableton tracks via audio drivers like BlackHole.

Answers

• D-One
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Maschine uses an old version of Link, they never updated it to the 2017 version that has start/stop sync... 🤷‍♂️

For your purposes good old MIDI Clock works fine, all you need to set it up is:

Since you're on Mac you can even go a step further and route Maschine software Pads/Groups to Ableton tracks via audio drivers like BlackHole.

• PspkCz

thank you i will try it, im using loopback audio , btw good idea :-)

• PspkCz

ok it worked ! Thank you !

understand i Well ? :

Maschine 2 virtual input output -> Maschine.app ?

Maschine 2 mk3 -> is maschine HW in maschine mode ?

Maschine 2 mk3 virtual input output -> is maschine HW in midi mode ?

• Anton
    Anton Member Posts: 1 Member

I have both Mashine mk3 and komplete kontrol s49 HW - for both i arranged midi remote scripts and user remote scripts, daw is ableton live 11 and maschine as vst.

If I using pads (MK3 as midi)- transparent functions is from komplete kontrol as ableton instance

If I using keys (komplete MK2 as midi)- transparent functions is from Mashine mk3 as ableton instance

For this moment the only button i need to press is space button in pc keyboard for play - all the rest is from both HW - this is also piece me of, will try again to deal with it.

if you want to spend 55$ buy it from remotify (only for now black Friday) you can build one own customized surface

• D-One
    edited December 2022

Sorry I missed your question. Mk1, Mk2, MK3, doesn't matter, the HW has nothing to do with any of this, it's all software-based, it will work even with the HW disconnected. If MAS Sw starts playing then it sends a start message to Ableton so yes, you can use Maschine HW Mode, no need for MIDI Mode.

In my screenshot, Maschine SW Virtual Out just sends MIDI Clock to Ableton, since the MAS controller can trigger the software everything just works.

I have Remotify but you really don't need such a fancy tool if all you want is transport control, just enable Host Transport Control.

• Chris Shelving
    Chris Shelving Member Posts: 34 Helper
    edited January 2023

Hello, I am with the same problem:

I use WINDOWS 10 with Ableton 10 and Maschine as VST but I can't configure and use:

PLAY / PAUSE / RESTART /

With the REC function I can understand it since they are two different applications and the way of recording I would understand that it is not possible, but the rest is essential to use SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH ABLETON: ( PLAY / STOP / RESTART )

Is it possible to make it use or is it a matter of companies? Is there no interest in that it can be used simultaneously?

I have also tried using Ableton Standalone and Maschine Standalone as a slave but they are separate and I can't get them to play at the same time, I have used LINK & EXT in all ways and it is impossible, they synchronize but each one goes at its own pace and I only want to work with both platforms and simultaneously use PLAY / RESTART / STOP

Can you help me? I use WINDOWS 10 I pass some screenshots...

I hope it's something I'm doing wrong because otherwise it would be a shame not to be able to play on both platforms at the same time.

I would not like to waste more time trying to configure the template since it is frustrating me,

Can it be configured with LINK / EXT ?

Can it be configured as Machine VST and play with PLAY / STOP in Ableton 10?

thanks...

• Chris Shelving
    edited January 2023

This is my configuration in Ableton...

In Maschine I have tried all the configurations...

Help!!!

• PspkCz

Hi my experience is like : I have push2 and Maschine mk3

If you use maschine as a standAnlone - in setting set - send midi witch clock to external

than play button on maschine will work and play button, - on push2 will not. so Maschine will be your master cotroller and play button not work on push2 but only on maschine.

Than go to ableton settings set it as it on D-One screenshot , than push external button and it should work.

( in midi section also in the oblong set maschine config ( you have to put it by hand to ableton folder )

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413367278097-How-to-Install-MASCHINE-Templates-for-Ableton-Live

Its little bit tricky because maschine only work with maschine software in the color mode , if you want to record anything in DAW with maschine you have to use maschine in MIDI mode , Maschine will not send midi normaly to daw on to maschine VSTI or software when its not in midi mode ( and you have to set ableton template before )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5HX4lU_nBE&t=997s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y4J04wS5K8&list=PLhO1H9ncAXiDDcXUlQ036b4UivtUXejo7&index=2&t=8s

these two videos help me a lot .

also check this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPv5vinGiqs also he has videos how to export everything but it really depends on your use ..

• Chris Shelving
    edited January 2023

I have discovered Tobias Erichsen's LoopMidi (WHICH EMULATES A VIRTUAL MIDI) but it doesn't synchronize well, it does what I want but the synchronization has lags, I don't know if it's because of my computer but it doesn't do it well, I was excited at first but later I saw that precision failed, at least this happens to me on my computer and under WINDOWS.

At the moment I am assembling a template where to open Machine VST and route the audio outputs so that, once I have all the creative idea and more or retouch the song/loop/idea, go overturning audio tracks in different tracks and modifying any I touch up on the fly to set up the mix... I do it with LINK (SYNC PLAY/STOP in blue mode) even though I have to PLAY the two applications, I give it a tempo bar to give me time to run the 2 applications to have an ACCURATE synchronization.

I also appreciate that you have answered me, it has taken me hours to find how to do it, I was guided by this tutorial but I did not understand it at first because it is a platform that I do not know (Apple).

...::.::::😎👍️::......✔️::....

I am going to review and study your message, I will tell you something in a few days, you are very kind for taking your time to improve my WORKFLOW...

Thank you very much PspkCz for answering!!!

• Chris Shelving
    edited January 2023

I'm missing the PUSH2, but hey, I hope to have it later, and I work with Ableton 10 Standard, there may be things that are limited or that work better in Ableton 11

• Chris Shelving

For me, Maschine is perfect for ideas/composing and the workflow is perfect with keyboard mk2 and Maschine MK3, but having no latency compensation, when mixing, it becomes a bit uncomfortable, another thing that is missing is being able to comfortably control automations like in Ableton...

That's why I want to try to configure it to work with the 2 applications at the same time, either in VST or Standalone mode, but it fails that they are not synchronized with the LOOP & position/ START / STOP parameters... In REC mode I can understand that they are independent and it's as it should be... although you can route to send SCENES and routing of PADs from Machine to Ableton but I'm not interested in leaving Maschine, because for that the MK3 is perfect.

I think that with Push2 I could play better with the 2 applications....

Thank you anyway, I will continue studying how to unite these 2 incredible applications, I hope Ableton and Native Instruments will unite to unite these tools and work perfectly together with these topics that I have mentioned.

Greetings and I will comment with a video if what I want to do is necessary.

• Chris Shelving

Obviously what I do now is what appears in 2 of your videos that you have shared..

Export by tracks / groups, and open them in Ableton for mixing and mastering but sometimes I want to tweak something and have to go back to Machine to correct or change and re-export the audio

The other one that is to route the audio outputs is what I am working on with several tracks to record the tracks that interest me, I am going to test these days if it is possible to open the same theme in several VST instances of Machine to send all the audio at the same time and not be limited to 16 tracks... but hey, I'll tell you,

but this is when what I want doesn't work... that Maschine controls (PLAY / PAUSE / STOP / LOOP )

All the best.

• D-One
    edited January 2023

Link would really be the best approach, I still am baffled why NI doesn't update their Link implementation, it's been 6 years.

@Chris Shelving said: it doesn't synchronize well, it does what I want but the synchronization has lags, I don't know if it's because of my computer but it doesn't do it well, I was excited at first but later I saw that precision failed, at least this happens to me on my computer and under WINDOWS.

MIDI clock is not perfect, from my limited experience it can be delayed (in which case you can try to compensate in the Maschine's MIDI Sync Settings with "clock offset" ) it can also drift a bit over time or take a few bars to fully lock in time. Last time I really tried this stuff was in my Windows days with an MPC2500 and I gave up after a while.

To test it turn on the metronome in both apps, and see if they line up perfectly on a clean project without any heavy plugins that might induce processing latency.

I am going to test these days if it is possible to open the same theme in several VST instances of Machine to send all the audio at the same time and not be limited to 16 tracks... but hey, I'll tell you,

It is, as long as your computer can handle a bunch of Maschine instances.