Use of NI instruments with Adobe Audition - possible?

zenpicker
zenpicker Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I use Audition as my DAW for recording solo acoustic guitar, but I'd like to add a few MIDI instruments such as keyboards on their own tracks. Audition doesn't natively support MIDI, but in wading through the complex thicket of the NI applications I'm getting the impression that there may be a way to pipe NI instruments to Audition audio channels, perhaps through the VST plugins.

Is this possible? I've tried what I know to try, but no joy. Some of the plugins do appear in Audition - Reaktor 6 FX, Guitar Rig and Supercharger - but I'm unclear on how to actually use them to make music. I am able to play through Komplete Control via MIDI with my attached keyboard (a cheapo Casio), but I don't understand how to get Audition to "hear" this.

Obviously I'm at sea. Any tips to point me in the right direction? Is this a lost cause? Thank you in advance...I'm sure these are stupid beginner questions, but after flogging away at it for some hours I thought it was time to just ask the gurus.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,127 Expert
    Answer ✓

Audition isn't suited for making music - it is primarily an audio editor for editing existing audio. VSTi support and MIDI sequencing were removed in Version 4 (CS5.5) and never got re-added.

You may be better off with other professional DAWs - such as Cubase, Studio One, Ableton, etc.

Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,127 Expert
    Answer ✓

Audition isn't suited for making music - it is primarily an audio editor for editing existing audio. VSTi support and MIDI sequencing were removed in Version 4 (CS5.5) and never got re-added.

You may be better off with other professional DAWs - such as Cubase, Studio One, Ableton, etc.

• zenpicker
    zenpicker Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thanks for the clear response. I know people always say that AA isn't suited for making music, but I've been using it for that purpose for more than a decade...I love it. But my needs are simple. Acoustic guitar, three mikes, the occasional guest acoustic player. You are quite right that there's no explicit MIDI support. I was hoping someone had worked their way around it, but...guess not. Thanks again.