User templates for external MIDI instruments for Maschine and Maschine Plus

ckrautwald
ckrautwald Member Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2023 in Maschine

I'm looking at using my Maschine+ as part of my Live Rig. Mostly to perform Midi Out to External Instruments. I found the MIDIPresetsForExternalDevices.zip berried and was following this video:

The problem is that the collection of presets does not have the following configurations for

System 1, Arturia MicroFreak, Korg Minilogue, and Bahringer MS-1.

If i'm not mistaken, It would be setup as a "Sound" and should be basic midi, but having the MIDI CC setup for all of the synths controls would be pretty stellar.

Has anyone already set these up or know of where I can go to find these for download?

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Unfortunately, there is not much out there as it seems.

It would be tremendously helpful if there was a User Library like for Reaktor where we could publish custom made External Devices.

Without such a platform, trying to find as well as creating and publishing new External Devices is a bit of a frustrating experience.

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    edited August 2022

Yeah it’d be nice if they added more templates but it’s honestly not that difficult. Just follow the steps listed here for setting up the midi control and audio playback of an external device:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001075809-Setting-Up-MASCHINE-MIDI-Presets-to-Control-External-Hardware-Instruments

When adding the CCs just be sure to look at the user manual for your device to find out the specific CCs and then create and assign it a macro on the midi track for your device. You can also add an automation lane to trigger program changes for your synth (e.g. this pattern has midi notes but also selects a specific preset and bank on the synth).

I could have sworn I made one a while back for the MicroFreak and if so I’ll upload it this evening. There should also be an online repository where people can upload the templates they make.

• polynil
    polynil Member Posts: 3 Member

I've been in quarantine for a week now and built a bunch of Midi templates for the MK3. Do these work on the M+ as well? If so, I wouldn't mind sharing them here. Maybe I'll start a new thread to collect templates. Anyone interested?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert
  • tribepop

Yeah it would be nice if there was a stickied thread with all of the external templates people make. @Jeremy_NI is this something we could get a sticky thread for?

• polynil
    edited October 2022

Cool, so here are a few I've made. Admittedly I haven't completely tested and verified all of them yet.

Edited to add the names so they appear in search: Dave Smith Evolver, Elektron Analog Rytm, Korg NTS-1, Nord Drum 3P, Roland MX-1, Roland TR-8S, Strymon Volante, Waldorf Blofeld + Rocket

• polynil

And here's two eurorack modules I made presets for.

LPZW. Tram8 & Flame Curves

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@tribepop I changed the title of the thread, since some users started to post their external devices here, this will be a sticky. Please keep them coming!

Thank you @ozon and @polynil for sharing!

• cybo
    cybo Member Posts: 15 Helper

I did a few for my XD, Peak & Hydrasynth.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited October 2022

Nice dub techno vibes! 🌊 Fully supporting this thread.

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor

I was away from Maschine for some time...so.. BIG question:

can Maschine+ manage sending Program Change messages now? (in standalone)

This seems essential to me to work in a studio with midi machines...

• tribepop

I’m assuming you’re taking about being able to automatically change patches on the external synth from Maschine right? I know you can do it in the SW but I haven’t tried it in standalone. It’s a little wonky with how you set the program change values (you have to create an automation lane with program change selected and then set the corresponding value).

Let me try it tonight on my M+ and I’ll get back to you. Worst case scenario is you setup all of the program changes for the project in the SW and then export that project back to the M+

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor
    edited October 2022

tribepop wrote:

I’m assuming you’re taking about being able to automatically change patches on the external synth from Maschine right?

yes, that's right! that's exactly what I meant.

tribepop wrote:

Let me try it tonight on my M+ and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks a lot 🙏

tribepop wrote:

Worst case scenario is you setup all of the program changes for the project in the SW and then export that project back to the M+

I only work in standalone mode, I don't use the software

that's why I chose Maschine+ actually.. I thought it was completely standalone.. (otherwise I would have opted for Maschine mk3 much cheaper... but I'm not interested in a hybrid system dependent on a computer)

then I was very disappointed by this "program change issue" which makes the Maschine+ useless in my configuration 😫

so I sold it but I'm still waiting for this feature because I could buy it again if this is implemented...

I must admit I find it pretty crazy that such a basic feature for a midi sequencer doesn't already exist from the v1.0

• filip pietrzykowski
    filip pietrzykowski Member Posts: 44 Helper
    edited October 2022

Behringer MS1 is analog synth, it has midi only for note on/off, seq tempo, etc, basic, no MIDI CC, hence you cannot have a template because you cannot control it via MIDI CC.

As for using Maschine only in live situation, please check my youtube channel -

I use Maschine in sort of unconventional way, it serves me only as a host for midi (mixer, sending and receiving MIDI CC, tempo, etc) as well as host for audio (I use VST plugins for effects).

Although I own oldie mk2, so I need laptop to run it, but I need laptop screen only to check the levels of instruments, that's all.

This way of working is like working with akai MPC, hardware, not touching mouse&keyboard at all during the session. Further it is budget solution for live act, live performance, as I do not need to spend $$$$ for expensive delays, reverbs or other effects.

Maschine has Replika for free, and that's my fav delay:)

I spent a lot of time (half year I think) to finally program my midi devices (particulary midi controllers like Novation, Allen and Heath and Behringer) but I have entire mixer, audio all sends and inserts under the fader/knob plus dedicated midi controller for Replika only so I can use feedback and change timing, and filter, etc.

VST effects dont take space on the desk, no cables, and easy to carry:)

Money wise - I had over 100s VST plugins I collected in last 20 years, so I can utilize them, without spending a penny. Yes, there are few midi controllers (very light though;) to carry, but this setup is great if you need to play live and move all equipment.

The most important thing for me is ability to focus entirely on music by turning knobs, faders and pushing buttons, like playing from real instruments, not touching DAW at all (I use Maschine standalone - please chek my video)

regards