NKS User Library

Comments

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 403 Pro

I slid into your DMs, Christos.

• Vagus

Can anyone here confirm they own equator 2 please? I'd be grateful of some testing on that within KK if you're running VSTShell.

All mappings, previews etc are included. All of this work is manual, one preset at a time - and I'm a couple of hours away from completing the MPE presets (there are a lot of them. The non-MPE presets will take just as long). Luckily, the tagging is really detailed, as for each sound, Equator 2 has tags and descriptions, and while they don't match the NKS standard more than 50% of the time, it does enable some really detailed tagging. It's just very slow doing it One. Preset. At. A. Time.

Aside from the white line from VSTShell, recall is actually quicker in KK for presets than it is by loading in Equator 2. It does have a resizing bug, which is KK specific, so it won't resize upwards and creates black space- but it works fine resizing outside of KK.

So, if anyone has a few minutes spare, and would like to test this for me, I'll finish up the MPE and do a v1 release,

• sternentanz
    sternentanz Member Posts: 1 Member

Yep, I own Equator 2 and do run VSTShell. I would be more than happy to do some testing (actually I had considered doing the NKS myself but did not yet find the time to do so...)!!!

Cheers, Chris

• Vagus
    edited June 2022

Just doing a bit more work to get some extra presets in (have been doing this for the last three hours - it actually takes around one minute per preset to save and tag properly.)

I'll DM you later today with a download link for testing.

• Rikk Show
    Rikk Show Member Posts: 94 Helper

I have Equator2 and "vsti3shell.x64.dll" but I'm not getting it to show up as ROLI/Equator2. It shows up as VST3/Equator 2. Is it the same for you?

If, so I expect the presets will not work once you move to an actual VST3 as the "vendor name" will change form VST3 to ROLI. Yes/No?

I'm on Win10.

• Vagus
    edited July 2022

There's a few editors there that allow us to edit the vendor name - and tested with someone else on the forum as working fine. As an example here, it's about planning - the first snapshot you save needs to be edited, and then used as a template for the rest.

For Equator 2, the plugin name also needs to be edited for it to work correctly.

Once 3rd party VST3 support is available in KK, It should work fine. I hope so, because I don't want to spend months doing this one again!

I've just got the pads to do, (only doing MPE snapshots at the moment) and then I'll upload links to the community - along with Odin 2 - which is also tested as working and is complete.

• Christos Adamos
    Christos Adamos Member Posts: 132 Pro

Vendor and Author name can be edited directly in the "Properties" section from KK (see Abyss picture)

Also you must edit all the other stuff in "NI Resouces" folder (.meta file, categories.json, color.json, shortname.json, and various png images) if you want the plugin to appear properly. In the case of Abyss i don't edit anything from plugin side. Unfortunately i don't have equator 2 but i can make some tests if you tell me the exactly name

• Vagus
    edited July 2022

Well, I guess it's time for some more public tests :)

Both Equator 2 and Odin 2 have been tested by one other person (different for each one) - thanks to both of you for your help and feedback.

Equator 2

Only MPE has been done so far, but every MPE preset (550+) has been tagged manually. It was arduous. There's nearly double that number of non-MPE sounds. One day.

Odin 2

Any feedback welcome, and @Kymeia You're welcome to add these to your repo.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert
    edited July 2022

Pretty sure they will not work if/once VST3 support is added since you are loading through a shell which is what the PID will be looking for, then it will be storing the specifics of the shells settings with the plugin data within that so bascially no matter what, you will now have to load things with the shell loaded (including in any DAW project). It would have to be done all over without the shell I am guessing based on my past headaches and the whole reason I have not spent any time at all trying to support VST3 yet.

It's the same as loading plugins in a DAW via KK, without KK even tho the plugins are available they will not load in place.

• Vagus

That's an entirely fair point @JesterMgee.

I think I'll hold off on the non MPE presets for Equator 2 for now. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to create something that lets you edit .nksf files outside of KK in a more efficient manner.

Will speak to my developer, as a lot of the required work has already been done for Preset Magician - might not be a stretch to create something a bit more targeted around editing from the Github.

• Rikk Show

My guess is there is some checksum or similar in the preset file and if it doesn't check out it won't load.

I tried some simple hex edit a while ago but KK refused to load. I might be wrong about what is going on but don't expect a simple solution.

• Christos Adamos

I experiment too with Hex edit some years ago, mainly for re-arrange pages in KK with great results.

I had also made a video just to remember the steps to follow (no audio or instructions because it's only for personal purpose)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRGvV2F56s

Keep in mind that since the .nksf is just binary files, old and new preset must have exactly the same size

• Christos Adamos
  • Rikk Show

Well, let's hope. There might be a chance then to rename "VST3" to "Roli", and just change four characters.

• Vagus

This is already done - but Jesters' point about the plugin id is valid. That said, Native Instruments aren't the only people able to read and write nksf. (Hive, for example). I'm not a developer, but my business partner is - I'll see if I can grab some time with him in July/August to look at the problem and see if there's an easy win.