Ask Kontakt 8 creators anything

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,065 Expert

@Matthew_NI

WOW - This is big news. Appreciate the update.

At least we know where we stand now.

VP

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

I agree this is another something that NI seem to be passively hiding at the moment. I did check on the NI Kontakt product page for requirements and I couldn't find a thing about KK 2.9.6 support or otherwise…

• Vocalpoint

Well - since it is now confirmed as not supported - I wouldn't expect to see any mention of it.

I am very glad I found this out before making any upgrade moves.

VP

• Hywel
    edited September 25

But shouldn't there be a mention of a requirement for KK 3 or above though…

Certainly something to think about for KK 2.9.6 users (MK1 or MK2 owners) before they take the plunge into Kontakt 8 or any of the new Kompletes.

As a Komplete 14 CE owner and MK1 user, I will not be venturing into Komplete 15 unless my MK1 dies soon…

• Vocalpoint

It is probably implied - but yeah - I can see that.

I am sensing that with everything else that is going on right now - this is not a high priority update to make on the web site - which let's face it - has always run well behind the times.

VP

• Lionzinio
    Lionzinio Member Posts: 41 Helper

Yes.

I opened Kontakt 7 as a standalone, let it update and closed it.

I then opened Kontakt 8 Player as a standalone and let it update and closed it.

Then I opened Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 and it was totally screwed. Nothing opens and every library or instrument gives that error message.

Removing Kontakt 8 Player (which is a pain as obviously there is no uninstaller like normal companies make) totally resolves the problem. Everything works perfectly again.

I can only imagine the effect Kontakt 8 is going to have on the years of tracks I have recored using Kontakt 7. Where every single instance is likely to require correction. So the more music you've made, the more havoc this version will bring.

• Hywel

Why did it take 22 pages of this thread to get to the information that KK 2.9.6 doesn't play with Kontakt 8!

• dougieb
    dougieb Member Posts: 13 Member

Is there a (good) reason that Kontakt 8 (like Kontakt 7) includes the name change that kills prior projects? I understand that VST3 allows for autoloading the new version of Kontakt instead, but wouldn’t it be better to just leave the new version named “Kontakt.” They are backwards compatible, are they not?

• Skijumptoes
    Skijumptoes Member Posts: 56 Helper
    edited September 25

If you uninstall Kontakt 7 after installing Kontakt 8, will DAW projects made with the Kontakt 7 VST open Kontakt 8 VST in it's place? That's always my concern when new versions come out.

Apologies if this has already been asked.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,620 mod

I'm assuming that the VST ID has been changed so people who want to continue using K7 can do so. If every instance of K7 was changed to K8 with no notice there'd be uproar, and I'd be near the front of the queue with a virtual pitchfork! Don't forget we already have a "Kontakt" which is actually "Kontakt 6".

• Vocalpoint

Only if you use Cubase/Nuendo or Logic.

Every other DAW out there has no form of "auto-migration" and you will be on your own to hack thru it manually replacing all instances of K7 (if you uninstalled it) with K8.

VP

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,130 mod

Yes.

I opened Kontakt 7 as a standalone, let it update and closed it.

I then opened Kontakt 8 Player as a standalone and let it update and closed it.

Then I opened Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 and it was totally screwed. Nothing opens and every library or instrument gives that error message.

Thank you for the added explanation. I only asked to be sure that you could not fix problem by doing so.

Alas I don't think that N.I. is going to do anything about compatibility of K8 with Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6.

In the above Matthew_NI were asked : Can KK 2.9.6 load and work seamlessly with Kontakt 8 as it does with prior versions?

To which Matthew_NI responded : KK 2.9.6 is not actively supported, so we've neither actively blocked nor tested this.

• Philipp_NI
    Philipp_NI Product Team Posts: 12 mod

You will find subbanks in the new sidebar browser as pulldown menu filter, working the same way as in the library overlay browser since an update to kontakt 7.

This discussion has been closed.