Ask Kontakt 8 creators anything

Comments

• Paul B
    Paul B Member Posts: 156 Advisor

Apologies if you feel the post I am quoting already answered this, but I want to be 100% sure: does the fact that Kontakt 8 can load Maschine expansions mean I can buy them without owning Maschine, and use them in Kontakt, or do I still need to own Maschine (e.g. for licensing reasons)?

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 117 Advisor
    edited September 24

Expansions loads with Kontakt 8 and Battery 4. You don't need own Maschine 2 software or any Maschine Hardware.

• Eric_NI
    Eric_NI Product Team Posts: 6 mod

No apologies necessary Paul!

Yes, you can buy them and use them in Kontakt 8 without owning Maschine.

For full transparency though - they are not only coming with Samples, these expansion also come with full-on MIDI patterns, projects and presets for Maschine effects and instruments.

They also come with presets for our own Synths, that are also available without you having to have Maschine. For example when I look in my good old OG Massive I can see tons of patches from Maschine Expansion content only.

So yes, you can use these samples within Kontakt, without having Maschine installed, but potentially miss out on other content that is Maschine specific (such as MIDI patterns, and Maschine specific presets) but might get a few more presets for other Native Instruments Synths or Players out of them.

• Lionzinio
    Lionzinio Member Posts: 41 Helper

Why can't I run both Kontakt 7 and Kontakt 8 on the same machine?

I don't need to run them at the same time (although that would be nice). But Kontakt 8 has some pretty shocking backwards incompatibility issues (doesn't work on S1 keyboards, doesn't work with Komplete Kontrol versions below 3.0), which basically means it turns my expensive NI hardware into junk.

So I'd like to be able to use my expensive junk when I want to and, maybe, use Kontakt 8 when I want to, not when NI insists I should.

It should be MY CHOICE when and how to use the products I have bought, not NI's choice when to render them inoperative. These are, apparently musical instruments, so they should have a shelf life of decades not months or years. I can still use a guitar purchased in the 1970s and still less expensive than an NI keyboard. Yet NI is actively killing its own products. Shame on NI for doing this.

My solution is, reluctantly, not to bother with Kontakt 8, unless you can give me a solution that allows me to use it when I want and not use it when I choose.

• Konstantin_NI
    Konstantin_NI Product Team Posts: 4 mod

Hey, thanks for your comment.

Kontakt isn’t changing in a way that takes the sampling part away, it’s more about adding new capabilities, like the wavetable oscillator. It’s also not something that will be used in every instrument. There are new ones coming that won’t use it. But having the new oscillator allows us to create hybrid instruments, like Conflux, which benefit from a flexible synth oscillator alongside the sample engine as a sound source.

• corbo-billy
    corbo-billy Member Posts: 101 Helper

But the Wavetable mode is not new as it has been present since Kontakt version 6.0.2.

• Lionzinio

Hi Matthew,

This doesn't seem to work for me. Using the S1 and KK 2.9.6

When I installed Kontakt 8 player it wiped out my Kontakt (full) plug ins, reset my library and resulted in continual error messages for all my Kontakt instruments and libraries. Everything was essentially broken.

I am assuming your message means that I can use Kontakt 8 player in the same way I currently use Kontakt 7 in Komplete Kontrol, ie from the normal browser selection system I can instigate from the hardware. Or do you mean I have to actively use the software with my mouse and select the instruments or libraries from some on screen drop down menu?

Thanks

• Rotomot
    Rotomot Member Posts: 43 Helper

That is a bit strange reply from NI.
    The wavetable oscillator is not new. It has been there already since Kontakt 6.
    And there are many old Play Series Kontakt instruments, like Analog Dreams etc, that are already combining wavetables and samples.

The new features added in Kontakt 8 wavetable oscillator are (from release notes):
    Wavetable source module now has a second Shaper and a Modulation Oscillator, allowing various audio rate processes: frequency, phase or ring modulation, mixing in with the wavetable.

• Konstantin_NI
    Konstantin_NI Product Team Posts: 4 mod

Hey, sorry if my reply wasn’t clear. You’re right, there was a basic wavetable oscillator, but what we needed for Conflux were the advanced modulation capabilities. These really open up new sonic possibilities that weren’t possible before.

• Eric_NI
    Eric_NI Product Team Posts: 6 mod
    edited September 24

Here is K7 on the left and K8 on the right. We can see a second OSC, plus a second shaper and the the additional modulation controls on the right.

• Nibtuck
    Nibtuck Member Posts: 2 Member

QUESTION:

1. Why can't I Midi-learn the next preset/previous preset buttons?
    2. Why can't I search for libraries in the new view and have to scroll through all my plugins alphabetically?
    3. Is there a full-screen mode?

• Lionzinio

This is the error I get when trying to use any Kontakt instrument using Komplete Kontrol v 2.9.6 after I have installed Kontakt 8 Player

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,131 mod

So , did you do that ? Open Kontakt 8 as standalone and let in scan ?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,620 mod

Correct although it does appear to have gained quite a few new functions in K8

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,620 mod

My question is…when is the rest of the GUI going to get HDPi capabilities? eg especially the editor which is largely unchanged and looks really outdated now

This discussion has been closed.