Using MIDI expression pedal to control wah wah in Guitar Rig 6

academyofrock
academyofrock Member Posts: 32 Member

I have an M Audio MIDI Expression pedal which works with pianos as a volume control. Can it control the wah wah pedal in Guitar Rig 6? I have searched but found nothing on how to connect and use it.

Tagged:

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod

If it's the EX-P pedal it needs to be connected to an interface/keyboard that converts the pedal output to MIDI. Once you've done that you should be able to map the MIDI from the interface to GR6.

• academyofrock

Yes, I should have mentioned that I have an S88 keyboard which the EXP pedal is connected to. It sends MIDI and piano sounds can be controlled by it,

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 248 Pro

You can validate the behaviour via this magnificent tool:

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor

It should show what MIDI info is used so you can map it to GR.

• academyofrock
    edited September 10

The Expression Pedal registers off and on when I depress it on the MIDI monitor.

If I right click MIDI learn on the wah in GR6 and move the wah knob no response from MIDI monitor.

If I right click MIDI learn on the wah in GR6 and depress the Expression Pedal, nothing happens from MIDI monitor.

So EXP pedal works but is not modulating the wah pedal.

Does that make sense?

• Wouter De Muynck

hello @academyofrock ,

It appears from the logs that the MIDI events are coming in from your Komplete Kontrol expression pedal. MIDI learn on the other hand will not work when your turn a know in GR6, MIDI is uni-directional from your keyboard towards GR, not the other way around. I think the next steps is to go to the preferences of Guitar Rig and enable your Komplete Kontrol keyboard as a MIDI source. Afterwards go back to MIDI learn of the wah-effect and press the expression pedal, this should normally work.

Grtz,

Wouter

• academyofrock

Thank you for this, I started the standalone GR 6 app and the boxes for MIDI control were all unchecked. I have now ticked them. I restarted Logic and a version of GR 6 but can get no control of wah pedal. Should I restart the mac?

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited September 12

I would first try to get things working in the stand-alone version of GR, Logic is a different ballgame in regards to MIDI-routing. In a recent version of Logic Apple changed the behaviour of MIDI-controllers without interacting with or informing 3rd parties, since then I can’t use my MIDI controller anymore and decided to switch to Ableton Live.

More info here:

• academyofrock

Thank you Walter - I will try that as you suggest. My best, Peter

• academyofrock

OK, I have got the wah pedal working on the stand alone version of GR6 by assigning channel 11 to the wah pedal (see screenshot). When I go to the GR6 in logic, I can assign CH 11 to the wah for control from my mouse, but the MIDI pedal does not control the wah. I can see that the pedal is working via MIDI monitor by no

wah control.

• Wouter De Muynck

Great to hear the stand-alone setup is operational πŸ‘, communication is working. I’m no longer using Logic, hopefully someone else on the forum can support you on that topic.

• academyofrock

TYSM for your help Wouter. I have made good progress thanks to you.

Peter

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited September 16

@academyofrock , you are very welcome! πŸ‘πŸ˜Š