Problem installing Komplete content to external drive

BenEdge
BenEdge Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited September 2022 in Native Access

Hi.

I have just upgraded my production system to a new Mac mini M1. To compliment this I have also got myself a brand new 2TB LaCie external drive for all my NI needs.

The problem is that after pointing the file path to my new LaCie drive to install all my NI content on I get an error saying I don't have enough space to install the content and to try to free up more. (Error shown in Native Access)

I think the problem is that Native Access is reading the SSD in the Mac mini as the installation path rather than the external drive. Obviously, the Mac mini drives are small so there is no way I can install the NI Content on it directly.

Could it be the formatting of the external drive? I set it up as Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Screen shots attached.

Thank you in advance for any help/advise.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Set your external drive as the "Download" folder and try again, if that doesn't work then NA is probably computing the space required when things are installed because they temporarily go thru your OS drive so try to install half the instruments then another half, don't do them all at once.

Answers

• pranaearth
    pranaearth Member Posts: 50 Helper

As I understand it, content gets downloaded to your Download Location. Then the product gets installed. So maybe your benedge drive does not have enough space.

As for formatting of HD/SSD for Mac see this support article: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/214134545-Notes-on-Hard-Drive-Formats-on-Mac-Computers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Set your external drive as the "Download" folder and try again, if that doesn't work then NA is probably computing the space required when things are installed because they temporarily go thru your OS drive so try to install half the instruments then another half, don't do them all at once.

• BenEdge
    BenEdge Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thank you both. That has sorted it and my content seems to be downloading.

It seems a little misleading but then again I am new too NI so now I know. Thanks again.

• TypicalsCo
    TypicalsCo Member Posts: 7 Member

When downloading a library like Metropolis Ark 1, you can't just download a portion of it. It asks me to free up 135GB of space on my System HD – which is insane (based on that it's total is 250GB without anything installed). Also, NI Access doesn't accept the external HD as a download location – even if I've set permissions to allow access to it.

• JohnnyInTX
    JohnnyInTX Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2022

I bought Komplete 13 Ultimate a couple months ago and just installed everything on an external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini M1 with 1TB SSD. My external drive is 4TB. After installation, I was surprised to find that it did install everything on my external hard drive, but that I now have only 98GB left on my 1TB SSD. Checked the standard folders on the SSD and it only added up to about 120GB. Digging deeper, I checked the /tmp folder which is normally hidden (use the finder "Go" menu and select "Go to Folder" and enter "/tmp" to view the hidden temp folder on Mac OS). It seems that NI installer is not removing the temporary files on the SSD after successful installation on the external hard drive which is using up 720GB of space on my SSD.

Anyone know if I can just delete these temp files manually? Most of the folders are named "ni.installer.patched..."

• victorp.sg
    victorp.sg Member Posts: 63 Helper

Just reboot your Mac—the /tmp folder content will be cleared and starts afresh.