Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Comments

• godamnpablo
    godamnpablo Member Posts: 24 Member

Thank you!

If i want to use scale mode on KK within ableton or FL studio - will it work for every single sound etc? for example if i will load 808 one shot sample to fl studio's channel rack would it be possible to set the scale on Komplete Kontrol and play the 808 within selected scale?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

Yes. Scale mode will limit only to notes in that Scale.

• godamnpablo

Thanks Matt, but this will only work if Komplete Kontrol app/vst will be opened right? or is it possible to set the scale in hardware options of the mk3 keyboard?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

Today: only in KK

Soon: on device, working with anything

• godamnpablo

thank you Matt!

What would be your advice - should i cop mpc live 2 or should i wait some time and maybe new maschine will be announced? :PPP

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,196 mod
    edited May 11

maybe new maschine will be announced?

Nobody N.I. will tell you anything like that before an official announcement if there are to be one.

The public news are in a threads like these : March 2024 – a community update from our Chief Product Officer and the thread you are in now : Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next? and latest (February) post from the Traktor team

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro
    edited May 12

Having had a chance to reflect on a few of the issues that the Komplete development team has faced since the release of the MK3, I have some thoughts which have evolved a little since my prior comments.

1. The update from MK2 to MK3 was extraordinarily different in that the MK3 took processing power "on board". That makes it impossible to bring MK3 predecessors along for the development ride moving forward. I have come to terms with that now.
    2. Considering above, the support for the MK2 is pretty good overall. Although I miss features present only in 2.9.6, the APP's stretchable/split shifting browsing experience (on my MK2) now makes using 2.9.6 previewing almost insuffereable for me. And the keyboard browsing experience is familiar enough from the get go. Props to the team for this because it was probably a huge amount of work/commitment to bring us MK2 owners along this far on the 3.x ride. So thank you.
    3. I am one who was and still is quite taken aback by the lack of a midi editor on the MK3 even to this day (6 or 7 months since release of MK3?) Ironically, the midi editor on the MK2 has worked in KK 3.x since day one despite my belly aching about MK2 not being fully supported, etc.

Overall, the team is in an impossible situation when it comes to trying to make everone happy. Yes it is a bummer that I cannot enjoy direct light guide support for Kontakt on my MK2 and in the end, that will be the main reason for me ultimately getting an MK3, if I take the plunge. I suppose that is the price of admission so to speak.

So there is a 100% improved browsing/preview experience offered by KK 3.x, direct light guide support in Kontakt 7.x, a generously sized screen (albeit a little underutilized for now), polyphonic support, and yes, I can finally turn off the lights when I don't need them 😉. There is a lot to like and the product is a worthy successor regardless of the rollout being pretty rough.

I do have the feeling that the midi editor is getting pretty close…hmmm…gets a guy to thinking…

• SuperTRev
    SuperTRev Member Posts: 120 Helper

No it's not working very well. It's been set up incorrectly, hey? Please show me the documentation that's been released to teach us how to set this up. Image Line didn't release any user guide either, or even tell us that this has been released. I had to manually hunt down this forum thread to find out the existence of this update.

Before I was using it with the FLS Beta 6 and it kept crashing FLS. Now I'm using the 21.2.3 stable release and now it's not crashing. (So in the future when when the beta becomes a stable release, is it going to keep crashing?) I set up my ports as laserbeak showed me above and now the DAW mode won't work at all. And I don't have transport controls.

• The red box around the mixer, after it's applied to the GUI; it will never go away, even if I leave the DAW mode or switch off the keyboard.
    • There is no 'Master' track label on the (DAW mode) mixer screen.
    • There are labels for pan but no option to modify pan. (why then are there labels there?)
    • The level meters show a minus when the levels are at 0dB. That's illogical.
    • The 0.0dB label on the FLS mixer tracks doesn't go away when using the keyboard to reset them to 0dB, as it does normally with the mouse.
    • Where is the buttons to reset knobs to default anyway? The keyboard knobs should also be buttons (Push the knob down).
    • There is no patt/song button. This is one of the most necessary buttons. It should be on the Loop button, and Loop Record should be Shift + Loop. On that note, the MIDI mode should be the primary (one button press), and Settings should be Shift + MIDI. Not the other way around (MIDI mode is toggled a thousand times more often than Settings).
    • The endless ticky encoder modifies volume. But so does the keyboard knobs. ? Why is there two volume knobs and no pan knobs? The ticky encoder should be to move up/down tracks (Or linked to the FLS master volume). The left/right ticky encoder buttons should move the view. Up/down should move from left/middle/right mixer docks.
    • Holding Shift should move any knob values slowly. I'm actually not sure if that's the case, but it should be.
    • When not in DAW mode, the ticky encoder moves the FLS play header by bar. But holding down the button while turning the knob doesn't give us a timeline selection.

Here's the suggestions I had made to Image Line because I thought they were the ones designing this integration:

• SuperTRev
    SuperTRev Member Posts: 120 Helper

MIDI Templates? You mean the same editing functionality we had with the MK2's, right?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,631 mod
    edited May 12

Settings should be Shift + MIDI. Not the other way around (MIDI mode is toggled a thousand times more often than Settings).

Yes absolutely - it's a distraction having to press 2 buttons to simply switch modes

Or why not just make the DAW button a toggle instead of being stuck in ON mode? - when it is on you get the mixer control, when off MIDI control of device params

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 122 Advisor

Can someone confirm that KK and the Mk3 keyboards are working with Bitwig? Given the current 50% sale on Biitwig, Randall the continuous problems with Native Instruments software in Logic Pro, I'm thinking of finally making the jump to Bitwig.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,196 mod
    edited May 13

I am sorry to disappoint you. To inform the forum I am just iterating/reporting what Matthew_NI has stated. I am not a N.I. employee and Matthew_NI are not in the habit of answering any questions I make of technical nature about the software workings of the S-Series MK3. My guess is that either he is under a personal NDA or he is not allowed to because it's considered intellectual property or trade secrets bringing us back to point one again.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,631 mod
    edited May 13

Yes they are, although you get more functionality using the MOSS extension - better than any other host actually (especially when combined with device panels)

• nicholasbinder
    nicholasbinder Member Posts: 11 Member

Question here… when Standalone Play Assist / Scale Mode comes, would it be possible to alter the MIDI Script so that it will follow the selected Scale in Ableton Live? Afaik Live's controller scripts give you access to the whole program, so it would work in theory, right?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,891 Expert

So there is a 100% improved browsing/preview experience offered by KK 3.x,

Would have to disagree 100% on this.

The browsing experience in many users opinions (mine heavily included) is the biggest thing that was screwed up in V3 by far!

I need to really make a comparison video because in V3 it shows less info, truncates names heavily, requires more clicks to even open the browser (compared to no clicks in V2) and can no longer be operated on-screen from the actual keyboard, making it useless for A and M series users. In V2 you could easily see 20-30 instruments listed in the browser at a time instead of 8 to 12. The list goes on. So cannot agree that V3 has improves anything around browsing.

This discussion has been closed.