Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Options

Comments

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 451 Guru
    Options

It would be good to have a visual confirmation that the button has been pressed, so MCU or not, the buttons should light up, IMHO.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 451 Guru
    Options

I used to use Maschine integration with Mk2 controller, but not many people did, according to NI. The controller is also now more universal, instead of having all those buttons that serve no function if one is not using Maschine integration.

I guess most people use Machine with dedicated controller or software only (as a plugin inside DAW).

I agree it is a bit of pity that they decided to not implement this functionality in Mk3 series.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

It is absolutely true that most people use Maschine as a plug-in inside the DAW.

It's not even remotely close -> that is where our Maschine users predominantly live.

Another reason why Kontrol S MK3 focused as it did.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,863 mod
    Options

Yes that's true but the MCU functionality itself still works, it's just it would be nice if the lights were on

• PHgh95612
    PHgh95612 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Yeah. Especially if the function was there. I, and I believe a lot of user do the same, use Maschine controller and Komplete keyboard together. But if they think this is better, we have to believe them. It is their business. Probably I'm just member one of the minor user group.

But I will not upgrade for sure to Kontrol Mk3. And if current hardware will die, will see. Probably will change eco system completely. Will see what situation will be when the time will come.

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

So my deduction from this statement is that there will be NO MORE Maschine hardware made ever as most people use the software plugin within the DAW. Is that correct @Matthew_NI ?

• Kymeia
    edited April 18
    Options

I don't think that's the only conclusion you can draw from this. It's just that the hardware of the current Maschine is now out of step with the capabilities of the new generation of keyboards (and NKS2) so the most logical conclusion would be a new generation of Maschine, or something like it, that does integrate with the keyboards and NKS2.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 71 Helper
    Options

@Matthew_NI i see that @Simon confirmed in the forum a month ago there that Maschine integration was indeed coming to the Kontrol MK3 series.

is that correct? Sounds like (good) news to me

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/27875/march-2024-a-community-update-from-our-chief-product-officer

Simon_NI Product Team Posts: 13Product Team

March 25 edited March 25

@Warempel

Sorry to hear that you're considering moving away from us.

Yes, I understand it's frustrating that Maschine is not yet Sonoma compatible -- but that update is coming very very soon. Maschine is one of our most complex software products which is why it took longer than any of us would have liked.

Maschine integration is coming to the Kontrol Mk3. It just wasn't there at launch because we decided to prioritise the Kontakt integration (which is what most customers really wanted). We haven't taken any functionality away from Kontrol Mk2 owners -- that still works with Maschine.”

• Kymeia
    Options
  • WEM
    WEM Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

@Matthew_NI are there any news? It seems the post was lost somehow...

regards

Werner

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 418 Guru
    Options

I think the following will happen:

May

Updated Maschine SW with Sonoma support. Not the new browser, because that's being saved for...

August

New Maschine HW announced for pre-order - delivery in September.

I hope Maschine HW has NKS2 support, but has some standout features like MPE enabled pads, single larger screen, something cool we haven't thought of.

If it had the above, I'd be pre-ordering.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Options

Very probable.

If it had the above, I’d NOT be preordering.

Single larger screen: not a step forward. 2 screens, 2 simultaneous views. 1 screen…1 view. Just a fancy thing, not something really improving workflow

NKS2: not interested. Having a couple more pages with just different layouts? Not an innovation.

MPE enabled pads (will not happen): it would be cool, but not something that will make me run to substitute what I already have.

Something cool we haven't thought of: probably. Not sure of the “cool” part. With all the things users have already suggested in all those years, what we will see is instead something they say we should use, not what we asked for (hope to be proved wrong on this one).

This is how I personally see those things. I can understand for others it could be different.

is it evident how disillusioned I am? 😔