Cannot select browser mode in Komplete Kontrol - browser button not working

Options
2»

Answers

• Jeffy G
    Jeffy G Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Thx! That's my understanding as well. It seems wrong that NI still sell the Kontrol M32 suggesting the integration with Kontakt in the demo video and the website.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,779 mod
    edited April 9
    Options

I don't think NI have ever claimed you can open the Kontakt browser and browse it with the M32 outside of loading Kontakt in Komplete Kontrol. That is only for MkIII keyboards and I also don't know why you seem to think it was different before Kontakt 7 given that it was Kontakt 7 that introduced such direct integration and Kontakt 6 never has.

The browser button should bring up presets to browse in the keyboard display though when Komplete Kontrol is loaded, it does for me with my A series keyboard which is functionally there same as an M32, just a bit larger. What the browser button does not do is switch between browser and plugin views in the Komplete Kontrol 3 software but that's because NI chose to decouple the software from the hardware views, but the functionality in the keyboard itself is the same.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    edited April 9
    Options

@Jeffy G We don't suggest that, it's pretty clear that the integration is with Komplete Kontrol and not Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol being like a overall plug-in for all other NI plug-ins, including Kontakt and it's libraries. This might be where your confusion is coming from. Even the title of this thread is about Komplete Kontrol and not Kontakt 7. If you have any links to videos where someone claims Kontakt 7 has the same integration for the M32 please share them.

• Jeffy G
    Options

Just tested my M32 with Komplete Kontrol standalone and can confirm the 'Browser' button does not pull up the Library for browsing. I must click on the Library icon (top left) with my mouse - only way

. Once the Library is open, the M32 jog wheel and most other functions seem to work, but I can't switch between the open instrument and the library using the M32. Am I missing something?

I've typically used the functions in the attached M32 Cheat Sheet.

• Kymeia
    Answer ✓
    Options

As I said if you are referring to the library icon in Komplete Kontrol software on the computer it won't, the browser button is for switching between browser and plugin mode on the keyboard display. When it was built there were not even separate views for plugin and browser in Komplete Kontrol software, that only came with KK3.

• Jeffy G
    Options

Nope. Not referring to library icon at all. I’m referring to the ‘Browser’ button on the M32.

• Kymeia
    Options

Yes I know, that wasn't what I meant, are you wanting it to switch between the browser and plugin views in the software KK or on your keyboard? It should work still on the keyboard (and does on my A25 which is similar)

• Jeffy G
    Options

Yes - expecting the software view to change with the push of the ‘Browser’ button.

• Kymeia
    Options

Yeah it doesn’t do that, the browser button on the keyboard is for on keyboard browsing

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,617 Expert
    Options

KK V2 will show your browsing on-screen (as many of us like to use), but of course this is another thing KK V3 no longer does for some reason and another limitation likely to never be addressed.

• Kymeia
    edited April 22
    Options

Well there never was this need to switch views in KK2 so that's a KK3 thing anyway and NI obviously opted not to enable the hardware button to switch in the software version too as that enables more flexibility for users (eg you can have the browser in the keyboard and plugin view on screen). So really the browser button has never operated anything in the software version.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,617 Expert
    edited April 22
    Options

that enables more flexibility for users (eg you can have the browser in the keyboard and plugin view on screen).

The most NI marketing answer I have heard from a user :)

Sorry to burst the bubble but in V2 you had BOTH the plugin view + browser all neatly displayed in a single screen. So it WAS possible to view the plugin + browser AND use the keyboard controls to scroll presets on-screen. This is my point!

There are certain ways some of us like to work, browsing easily using the keyboard controls while looking at the computer screen was one of them. If you have an A/M series with that tiny useless screen this was even more important. Sure, offer an OPTION to have the browser separated for those folks that like it, but maybe also have the option to keep it as it was for those of us that do NOT like it. it is now not possible to press browse and see the preset list on-screen and scroll through it which is a detriment to certain ways to work. Yes, this may all be due to the new split browse screen, but this is highlighting just how ineffective that whole design choice is compared to how simple and elegant it was.

What improvement/benefit has been gained by the design of the new browser and the lost functionality we once had? I'm all for improvements BUT If you (or anyone) can explain how it is better now over how it use to work, please share what I am missing, I am seriously curious as to any actual benefits it all brings.