Now we have autosampler can we have a space to share content?

TheLoudest
TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor
edited May 2022 in Maschine

is it even possible?

I mean..."legally"

I don't know if we can share sound from hardware synths for example...or even from VST instruments

but if it is OK, why we don't have this area on the forum already? πŸ˜€

Tagged:
Β«1

Comments

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 133 Pro

Now that is a great idea!!

• Dstep ATL
    Dstep ATL Member Posts: 95 Helper

Hardware should be fine, VST would not

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2022

That's a good question; there was some internal discussion with the forum staff about this possibility, I don't quite remember what conclusion we reached but there's some touchy legal stuff to consider.

The NI EULA, for example, forbids sharing anything based on VST presets, it's a bit of a silly rule as it's impossible to prove or disprove, I guess it's point is to stop people from repacking instruments as multi-sample libs and basically steal all presets to sell them or giveaway.

For HW synths and whatnot, I don't think there are any similar rules and it should be all good afaik.

• TheLoudest

@D-One wrote:

The NI EULA, for example, forbids sharing anything based on VST presets, it's a bit of a silly rule as it's impossible to prove or disprove, I guess it's point is to stop people from repacking instruments as multi-sample libs and basically steal all presets to sell them or giveaway.

OK I see...

so I guess we can do what everyone else do in this case : renaming!

like piano presets "Chteinway" or "Dosendorfer" ο»Ώ

πŸ˜‚

it's also like playing with a soccer video game which doesnt have the rights to use real names ( Kristian Ponaldo and Leonard Massi)

hm...maybe we should use less obvious ones.. πŸ˜‰

• TheLoudest
  • Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

We'll have some rules clearly outlined (especially with naming) but yes it seems to conclusion was that it was all good when it comes to hardware.

• Matt_NI

The Pro Evolution Soccer of hardware sampling 🀣

• OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 137 Pro

Seems if we sample a vst like session horns pro it would be ok to share nonprofit on a forum right?

Even if just hardware it should be rather cool! I will for sure contribute.

• Matt_NI

I think that's what @D-One was referencing to. You can't really start sampling VST and share it around. Every manufacturer's EULA including ours mentions that it is not allowed.

• OhulahanBass

Hmm, I suppose it is important to protect IP, I just feel it would be beneficial for all parties. That said, probably more manageable in respecting EULAs to restrict to hardware samples only.

I'm excited at the idea, I hope there forms a somewhat competitive culture to see who can make the strangest library!

• SpencerTyler
    SpencerTyler Member Posts: 37 Helper

Does this also include designing your own presets from the initial state too? I see a lot of people out there doing this and selling their custom preset packs from many VSTs

• TheLoudest
    edited April 2022

I guess the line is very blurred...

but I don't see what would prevent sharing a sample from a VST synth...

especially if it is made from simple waveforms, from scratch.

maybe the problem is mainly for the " factory presets" I think...(which belong to their authors or to the manufacturer of the virtual instruments)

but even in this case it is in no way a "clone" of the original virtual instrument since it is a simple audio sample, and therefore our interaction on the sound is quite limited (compared to all the features a virtual synth can offer..)

• OhulahanBass

Logically sampling a virtual synth and a hardware synth doesn’t seem philosophically different to me. I could see things getting murky if you were sampling a VST that is sample based though. Like session horns or strings. They are essentially intelligently executed sample libraries with mixer and some bus FX control.

This discussion has been closed.