Best way to set up NI library on external hard-drive?

thgmusic
thgmusic Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Native Access

Hi all,

for the first time in many years I am setting up a new laptop from scratch. I have Native Access installed on my old laptop. My NI libraries are on an external drive. What's the best way to set up my new computer?

I don't know where to look here (in the forums) for an answer, so just starting by asking here.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Brad

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    Answer ✓

This article from our knowledge base might be a good start: Installing Native Instruments Products on a New Computer

• thgmusic
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

OK, I deleted all the files from my old laptop.

Next, I began trying to install NI libraries from within Native Access. As an example, the first three I attempted to install "failed".

But, when I went to the downloads folder and double-clicked the .iso file, I was able to install from there. All three of them showed "failed" within Native Access, but were recognized just fine by Kontakt.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: when I quit and restarted Native Access, the libraries previously marked "failed" all show up. This doesn't answer the question of why they "failed" to begin with.

On a related note, when I install from the .iso file, the installer defaults to the "shared" folder. I can easily change that, of course. I have Native Access configured to install the content folders on an external drive.

Answers

• pranaearth
    pranaearth Member Posts: 50 Helper

I would launch Native Access on your new computer, and point NA to the sample library locations on your external drive

• thgmusic

Thanks for responding! I had thought about that, but was concerned that I had a limited number of installs? I will try this today and see what happens.

Brad

• Matt_NI
    Answer ✓

This article from our knowledge base might be a good start: Installing Native Instruments Products on a New Computer

• thgmusic

Thanks for the response! I will follow the instructions for uninstalling from my old laptop first, then follow the process outlined in the articles you referenced. Should I come back here if I run into any issues, or is there a more relevant place for me to post any follow-up questions?

Thanks,

Brad

• Matt_NI

You can totally post here or create a new thread if the issue you have is completely unrelated to this post.

Also don't forget to click to little icon asking if one of the post answered your question. It's super helpful if others have the same issue in the future 😉

• thgmusic
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

OK, I deleted all the files from my old laptop.

Next, I began trying to install NI libraries from within Native Access. As an example, the first three I attempted to install "failed".

But, when I went to the downloads folder and double-clicked the .iso file, I was able to install from there. All three of them showed "failed" within Native Access, but were recognized just fine by Kontakt.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: when I quit and restarted Native Access, the libraries previously marked "failed" all show up. This doesn't answer the question of why they "failed" to begin with.

On a related note, when I install from the .iso file, the installer defaults to the "shared" folder. I can easily change that, of course. I have Native Access configured to install the content folders on an external drive.