Does Maschine 'amplify' MIDI velocity received?

Rilkecat
Rilkecat Member Posts: 45 Helper
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hi! I am playing around a patch on standalone Massive with my MIDI keyboard. When I open the same into Maschine, it then sounds extra loud and distorted. I am playing exactly the same note, with same keyboard, same patch in a clear new session.

This is a "not velocity sensitive" patch ('velocity slider' is set to 0 in all envelopes). Whether I play the keyboard soft or hard, it will always sounds the same. However, in Maschine there is a +20% difference of output volume (comparing both Massive's Output meter). Thus, its output is louder and more distorted...

Any idea? Does Maschine have a different handling of velocities received via MIDI?

Anyone with a MIDI keyboard can make this test.

Thanks friends!

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Well to answer your original question about Maschine and Midi Velocity Received, there is no "Scaling of Velocity" done behind the scenes, whatever it receives, it uses.

As to why the amplitude is different, I could not tell you, I am no "Massive" expert and I pretty much just use modifed presets (when I do use Massive)... Your best bet at this point might be to Post in the Massive Forum (a subforum of the Komplete Category) and ask there...Sorry I can't be of more assistance!

Answers

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

Maybe your MIDI Events are duplicated due to some routing issue.

• Rilkecat
    edited March 2022

Hi! It's a patch of my own, a very simple one. Just one Osc (sine wave) with little feedback and C Tube.

The difference of Massive's volume between standalone and into Maschine is quite noticeable, and sound saturates more, changing the tone drastically.

• Rilkecat
    edited March 2022

Thanks Ozon! How could that be?

Just in case, I tried selecting "None" at "Settings"/Default MIDI Input. And only at the sound level selecting the MK3 as MIDI port on "Channel"/MIDI Input.

Still Massive plays a louder/more saturated sound into Maschine than in standalone :(

• Blindeddie
  • Rilkecat

Yes, I tried. Factory preset have many modulations and velocity mods that make it difficult to compare even with themselves, but they apparently sound equal in both instances. Also when I select 'New sound' in both instances, they both do sound equal. I am super puzzled :(

Now I restarted everything, opened the same simple .nmsv file. patch on both, Massive and Massive into a new project of Maschine. Again there is this slight but notorious difference. I just open the same

However, now it is in Maschine where it sounds less distorted, and in Massive more. Any idea?

Do they work different on both platforms?

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Well to answer your original question about Maschine and Midi Velocity Received, there is no "Scaling of Velocity" done behind the scenes, whatever it receives, it uses.

As to why the amplitude is different, I could not tell you, I am no "Massive" expert and I pretty much just use modifed presets (when I do use Massive)... Your best bet at this point might be to Post in the Massive Forum (a subforum of the Komplete Category) and ask there...Sorry I can't be of more assistance!