NKS Quality Control

Options
124»

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    Options

This article on ChatGPT does't relate much as it is about a generative task.

Seeking a desired group of presets is not a generative task like creating a desired group of presets.

Though that is to come too!

And even then, the language of music is rather simple compare to words. The objective analysis of sonic/musical characteristics associated with emotions/feelings is well established. Unlike a paragraph of words that can express a far more complex shaping of human reaction.

The main area of "new learning" needed would be any emerging genre specific words that bubble up from cultural trends... wanting to seek a group of presets for a kick drum to be used with "Sunflower Metal".

And being that there would be a large amount of users sharing their "Smart Templates" and the resulting user-created preset associations... these new genre terms would blend into the language by those most interested in using these terms.

• nightjar
    edited August 2023
    Options

The whole notion of presets associated with genre is one of the trickier areas for smart browsing.

Some of the more permanent parts of preset metadata regarding the authoring source might give some genre hints.

Better to have a "sounds like" drag-and-drop seek tool so users can create their own personal interpretations of what constitutes a genre and sub-genre.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,763 mod
    Options

Associating presets with genres is mostly pointless tbh - apart from a few very stereotypical things like Acid baselines and even then there is no reason why a musician can’t use those sounds in whatever music they want

• nightjar
    edited August 2023
    Options

the concept of grouping presets by genre is the foundation of NI Komplete Expansions… so this feature I suggest would let users easily group their own personal genre palette

a user could have a palette ready to go for a bluegrass band

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,763 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Not exactly- Expansions are themed packs of presets and samples selected by whoever assembled them to be suitable for particular genres but that doesn’t mean they have to be used for those genres or are only suitable for them. The expansions are more like those recipe kits you can get for cooking - different kits may share similar ingredients, some are more unique than others but good cooks, like good musical artists, are best at moving beyond recipes.

• nightjar
    Options

Whatever differences may exist vs Komplete Expansions, I’d think many users would enjoy being able to create palettes for personalized workflow.. including having a genre themed band ready to go, with some quick variations within

• nightjar
    edited August 2023
    Options

Not a tangent… today my sister asked if I remembered some time in early 80’s when our dad won a hot air balloon ride… 30 second search effort in my Apple photo library for “hot air balloon” brought it right up in a small group of pics with hot air balloons I had personal pics of… nothing had been tagged hot air balloon, AI made it a quick easy task.

seeking group of presets should be this easy!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    edited August 2023
    Options

seeking group of presets should be this easy

Except you are confusing finding something very specific that has a lot of detail and a context to find it, not finding a sound where MANY could be the case and you are not searching using the same specifics is quite different. You are not looking for a single sound, you are looking for a collection of candidates and also some that you never considered that may also wind up there it's pretty simple as is, you want a Piano, you select Piano and start browsing the results.

you also still overlook how all this detail you search is derived from a 2 second sample of the sound.

• nightjar
    edited August 2023
    Options

From the quote:

you also still overlook how all this detail you search is derived from a 2 second sample of the sound.

I have not overlooked this at all.

Whatever a human can glean about sonic characteristics from a 2 second NKS preview, AI/ML will be able to glean the same and more.

And additional useful information for this AI/ML empowered preset search will come from metadata about the instrument architecture and available parameters.

And to address your concerns about specifics, of course there would be several simultaneous search criteria to yield a useful results group. I have described this for you already.

And my "hot air ballon" did not depend on any detailed specific.. the results brought up about 30 pics with hot air balloons... not just the one I wanted. but the results were quite manageably, and if too many results came up, I could have easily added another criteria for pictures that were both "hot air balloon" and my father's face.

Super easy and how it should be for our presets too.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Options

As I have said before, the reason a human can do it is because they know what the plugin is, they know the tag category within the plugin, they can also make some human decisions when that info is not enough to load the preset, play something and decide in context. I have used AI based catalogue stuff for testing this kind of stuff, a company I worked for also looked into it and asked a few developers and the consensus was for sample libraries (not even talking presets here but audio sample libraries) it makes a bit of a mess of things and doesn't beat a well curated set of metadata. It can "work" but for experienced users they know instantly they are missing stuff or have completely inappropriate matches because of the logic used to class them.

Your point, again, is acknowledged so ima leave it here because it's fruitless discussing it further since it will not be a feature any time soon from my guess.