yeah nks in komplete loads with prism

• JeffFry
    JeffFry Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Reaktor 6.5.0 released! Yes! Now I can install it on my M1 MBP.πŸ˜€

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Options

It seems you are the beta tester now. It isn't offical - the update. So I wait.

• Georg_NI
    Georg_NI Product Team Posts: 20 mod
    Options

It IS official! But the "Official update status" posting needs an update too πŸ™‚

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

@colB

Now that developers have to maintain an ARM codebase for their products for Apple compatibility, it's not such a big step or extra cost to branch that for some ARM based PC version. Which in turn opens the way for that to be a more viable hardware option for users and vendors alike.

Why would they maintain two versions for Win? It would mean double the testing, double the possible problems, double the support. ARM is aimed to weaker mobile devices, so it would not run well. New AMD x86 CPUs will fit to 8 W (or so)... So, why to bother with ARM?

Because it is cool? Developer cannot be forced to do it, like Apple did. There are many manufacturers and all would do x86 and maybe also ARM. ARM will stay niche in Winworld unless it brings some real advantage. And it does not seem so..... Yes there might be some dual applications for Win, but I doubt there would be many even in 10 years. Win is not Mac. But I have the fear Apple will be forced to switch back to x86 within next decade....

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 829 Guru
    Options

Personally, I've been waiting for ages for someone to produce higher powered ARM based cpus. Just because most ARM stuff out there is low end doesn't mean that's all that's possible. ARM is great to work with.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. A lot will depend on the success of Apple's move, if it goes well, they will push it further, and things might start to change... Portable devices includes laptops... Lots of folk don't even have desktop computers. One things is for sure, times are always a changin'

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited April 2023
    Options

@colB "Lots of folk don't even have desktop computers."

Maybe, but, for performance critical tasks (like a DAW does), I would always opt for a desktop PC, as you get much more bang for the buck than with laptops.

For music production, I don't get the appeal of a mobile computer anyway, as a big display and lots of USB ports are pretty much a must have.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

You do not understand. There is no reason to switch to ARM on Win. No single reason.

AMD x86 CPUs are comparable to AS concerning energy efficiency. And may provide more CPU power than strongest AS, if needed. Why would anyone go for ARM instead of x86? Why would developers invest billions USD in such transition? That has no sound base and would be close to insane.

And I put aside, that there are not powerfull ARM CPUs available... Except for AS that is not for sale... And I estimate AS is way more expensive than x86 by AMD.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited April 2023
    Options

"Why would anyone go for ARM instead of x86?"

Good question. I wouldn't really know why I'd go for ARM in a desktop computer. 😊 Apple's marketing department surely thinks everyone needs to go ARM though. The Windows market is a bit more sane in that regard. There's no indication that the market will go ARM at some point at the moment. Windows on ARM is quite niche since its inovcation.

• JeffFry
    JeffFry Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Agreed. I stumbled across the Reaktor 6.5.0 entry in Native Access and read the Release Notes dated yesterday (2023-04-12) and figured it must be an official release. I came here looking for verification but didn't find any. I did see that the status shows "Native" and "Rosetta 2" in the "Apple Silicon Compatibility News" table. I would have assumed that NI would have posted an official announcement here, and also would have sent an email message to subscribers of the email list.

But at least it's official and we can move forward. YEA! πŸ˜€

• MvKeinen
    MvKeinen Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options

congrats to NI! Thanks for the update :)

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    edited April 2023
    Options

In the real world a mid-tier i5 Desktop CPU struggled to competed against Ryzen 9 APUs (i5 Laptop CPUs were summarily blown away, expectedly) from 2020 and definitely wasn't beating out an M1. M1 was more directly comparable to laptop CPUs, anyways.

We dind't really get Desktop CPU SKUs until the M1 Pro and M1 Max launched, and a mid-tier i5 wasn't isn't even in the same stratosphere as those.

And the TDPs were disgusting. Those i5s couldn't even really compete with AMD's 65W Ryzen 5 CPUs. Not sure why anyone would buy or build a machine with an 11th Gen i5 over a Ryzen 5, frankly. It cost more and performed worse - particularly in heavily multi-threaded scenarios/applications. For the iGPU, maybe?

-----

In any case, the Reaktor 6.5 update is live, but it's still loading as an x64 AU in Logic Pro despite the DAW running as M1 Native and me having done both individual rescans, a full AU Reset, and a full Reinstall of Reaktor 6.5 via Native Access.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Options

Thanks to the team and all Beta testers. I've updated to R6.5!

This discussion has been closed.