Reaktor 6.5.0: Beta phase has started

Options

Comments

• heinrichz
    heinrichz Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Indeed! On the other hand I could also use my Intel computer as a toaster..good riddance.

• heinrichz
    Options

I've never even heard the fan kick in on my M1 Mac.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 829 Guru
    Options

Meh, I just go for whatever is the best option at the time I need to build a new rig. Last time it was Intel, time before it was AMD. Maybe Apple's move to ARM will mean that by next time, ARM based PC solutions will be a realistic option.

Apple's anti-repair policies, and their industry lead as planned obsolescence pioneers just make them a no go for me.

• heinrichz
    Options

Yes planned obsolescence might be true. The i9 Macs were really totally flawed machines due their heat management and putting them on the market basically constituted ...fraud. The trade in value dropped to a tenth after 3 years!

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

I think it was more a complete lack of inflexibility when it came to their design intentions.

Apple kept designing high performance laptops and putting those CPUs in a chassis that was more akin to an Ultrabook. The only time an i9 would perform acceptably in a laptop, is in a PC Gaming laptop form factor. The machine needed more aggressive thermal management and a roomier chassis to facilitate better heat dissipation - especially in machines with dedicated graphics.

This is why I always avoided Intel MacBooks. The design didn't make sense when juxtaposed against the hardware they put in them.

We didn't get suitable High Performance CPUs for Laptops in that form factor until AMD Renoire (Ryzen 4000 series APUs). Apple got there around the same time AMD did, so that's not really problematic.

The issue is more the design of the machines themselves. PC Laptops with suitable designs still run their i9s better than the MacBooks at release, years later, because the manufacturers were not generally trying to create a "Designer Bag Laptop."

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

Windows NT has been on ARM for years. I am pretty sure Windows has been on ARM since years before macOS.

The issue with Windows on ARM is less the OS itself, and more the parts around it.

Also, Windows users are far more sensitive to compatibility breakages than macOS users, who see things break with every major macOS update. People are still running 10 year old versions of DAWs on Windows machines without issue. They aren't going to move to ARM to spend untold amounts of money replacing software that "works just fine for them" simply because ARM is the new hotness.

And if those users aren't going to pay, then the developers aren't going to take it seriously... Which is why Windows on ARM faces an uphill battle.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Moreover, there is no real need to switch from x86 to ARM on Win. AMD CPUs have similar computing power per watt results like M2. So, why would anyone bother to switch to ARM and have so many problems during transition. Not speaking about finances to be spent by SW developers. It would be insane step.

And I put aside that it seems like x86 develops and improves faster than ARM. Apple will have troubles, if it will not speed up. Fast! M3 will show, whether Apple is able to be competetive for longer time.

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 30 Helper
    edited April 2023
    Options

Reaktor 6.5 seems to be live now.

Btw is Super 8 Mx compatible now or are they still working on that one? Cannot see any new update.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    Options

What do you mean with "Mx"? All Reaktor ensembles should be compatible.

• colB
    Options

And if those users aren't going to pay, then the developers aren't going to take it seriously... Which is why Windows on ARM faces an uphill battle.

That has been the problem. But that's changed now. Apple is a big beast. When they change, the developers are forced to follow, or lose too much business. Now that developers have to maintain an ARM codebase for their products for Apple compatibility, it's not such a big step or extra cost to branch that for some ARM based PC version. Which in turn opens the way for that to be a more viable hardware option for users and vendors alike.

We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

• chk071
    edited April 2023
    Options

ARM is only really interesting for small and portable devices. My 11th gen mid tier Intel i5 is faster than Apple's M1 processor, the only thing which sets them apart is power consumption. Which, again, is interesting for portable devices, but not for stationary computers. Desktop PC's will always be much more powerful than any mobile device.

So, I doubt that Windows on ARM will become a big thing any time soon. Apple can do it, because they're the ones manufacturing the hardware, and, when some CEO snips his finger and says it's time for ARM, then they will do it. But, the world doesn't centre around Apple.

• colB
    Options

But, the world doesn't centre around Apple.

And yet here we are, Reaktor hasn't had any sort of update for... how long... because some CEO at Apple snapped their fingers, and all available resources at Reaktor dev HQ have been focussed on that ever since... ;)

• humpo72
    humpo72 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

thanks for the 6.5 Update :)

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 157 Advisor
    Options

reaktor 6.5. is live !!!

I can't update for now because I have a gig in one week, but I would be very curious about some feedback from the first users !!!

Anyway, coooool ! I can't believe it !

• chk071
    edited April 2023
    Options

I would do that as well, if a significant amount of my clientele is affected.

It's been a while since Apple decided to go all ARM though. And, I don't see NI retreating from their other work, just to develop ARM versions of their software.

This discussion has been closed.