I want a NI Marketplace

Options
2»

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 934 Guru
    Options

Ah - the adventures of being a Mac user :) I do not have those issues on PC/Windows. It's too easy to simply update a motherboard here and a CPU there while keeping all the other hard costs (Case, power supply, monitors etc) in full use.

Not sure how you guys/gals do it - dealing with the pain of having to switch everything out (at Apples unbelievable pricing) every 2-3 years.

Good luck with the new build (whatever you end up getting).

Cheers!

VP

• SoundsLikeFun
    SoundsLikeFun Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I get the same feeling. I sense a high level of negativity and a very defensive position to keep the status quo of the on VPs side. Any reasons seems to just be ignored if they don't defend the position that if a user buys something that is not great they should just shrug it off and be happy that it was another 500 bucks down the drain. Not all artist are millionaires happy to just dish out cash.

I have found out the hard way that it is actually better economical to buy real vintage synthesizers than virtual software versions. Not purely for the sound, but for the fact that it is easy to sell that Roland, Korg or whatever to another musician if it did not fit my mix.

And as for the value of a software licence with limited use. That is just the way the library makers have shifted things in recent years. In the beginning software was sold in boxes on discs with copy protection. And software you bought as a customer could be sold to another person. Piracy led us down the dongle/eula dark path, but to say that digital products can not have ha a trade and resale value is just false. Look at Crypto, NTF and even regular stock exchange. Corporate stocks are now only bits in the computers of NASDAC. Nobody questions that is is genuine corporate shares with value traded on NASDAC. Running software and licenses connected with NI's Access database does not seem much different to me and if the licences need stronger protection they could be made NFTs.

On a side not as you mention that most of us buys a Complete license to get access to a few of it parts. I wonder if NI have have made any investigations into what parts of gets a lot of use and what pieces that hardly nobody ever use. Maybe a swap system would show them more clearly where users want to spend more cash and what is actually just dead weight.

• SoundsLikeFun
    edited January 2023
    Options

I get the same feeling. I sense a high level of negativity and a very defensive position to keep the status quo of current balance where of the customer is to blame for buying wrong products on VPs side. Any reasons seems to just be ignored if they don't defend the position that if a user buys something that is not great they should just shrug it off and be happy that it was another 500 bucks down the drain. Not all artist are millionaires happy to just dish out cash.

Looking at how things now - NI is handling license trades on request, so moving it into Access is actually just a way to make that process more automated, secure and most likely also easier and more profitable for NI. It could also be a way to make 3rd party devs of instruments get more incentive to get their products under NI license if they also can get a kickback from trade ins or license swaps.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Simply:

1) One may get demo versions and test, whether plugin/Library suits his needs, or not. Also make internet search on plugin reviews and other user's experience.

2} It is easy to sell NI plugins, NI does not charge for licence transfer and licence transfer is quite easy. One may offer it at this forum at Buy and Sell thread, or on many seconhand buy-sell platforms.

Market place could make it maybe even easier, but the question is is it is worth the effort. Buy and Sell thread works OK.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

SoundsLikeFun

If you are equating "negativity" or "being defensive" with the simple fact that I do not agree with your post - you might consider rethinking your forum strategies - or not take things too personally. As much as it might bother you - a differing opinion to anyone's suggestion is allowed in here. Not everyone is going to join your party.

That said - Kubrak (above) just put it all perfectly. There is no reason to put any additional DEV effort into another marketplace when many have been functioning just fine for years. Me - I just want a fast, accurate version of Native Access to manage my stuff - and nothing more.

Have a great day.

VP

• SoundsLikeFun
    Options

Dear Kubrak and Vocalpoint. There are a lot of products in the NI "universe" that have no demos available and reviewers on Youtube are generally biased towards giving high praise. But the use for a swap function controlled by NI is not about products having to be bad product. We are talking about music here. For some styles of music a Fender Strat may be perfect, but then you may change musical direction and need a Dobro instead. In the real world you would just go and trade it in at the local guitar shop. I don't know anybody that would throw the Strat in the wastbin and say "ooh, that was my mistake, never mind, I will just buy a Dobro".

As for the stance "...it is good enough as it is...". It may be for some, but I prefer to look for improovements. Some of us don't like to trust unkown persons to make online money transfers (or not) and would prefer to rather deal within a solid system handled by a reputable company like NI.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

SoundsLikeFun

"As for the stance "...it is good enough as it is...". It may be for some, but I prefer to look for improvements."

Nothing wrong with looking for improvements but all I see is the second reply to your original post - where NI (admin) already indicated where this is going to go.

Can't see any point to continue to grind it out in this thread.

Cheers

VP

• SoundsLikeFun
    Options

I agree that it is pretty pointless that you and I continue to grind this out Vocalpoint. You have your reasons for your stance and I have no illusion that you will change your mind at stick to your horses-.But there are more users in the forum.

Btw I have seen a lot bigger things happen in my time. I recall things like:

• Nobody needs a wireless phone, it is good enough to go to a phone booth.
    • Throw that analogue useless out of tune synth away and buy the Yamaha DX7!
    • Mp3 is a piece of ****** that destroys sound that will never replace the CD!
    • Computers are not good enough for music, all they can do is to send some midi-data to a real synth-
    • Crypto currency will never take off!
    • Bitcoin is is replacing the USD now!

NI Might pick up the ball and make some money on it or some other brand will take it up and take over. They don't have a trade in system yet, but Orchestral Tools Sine is a good step in the right direction with a system where it is easy to buy single instruments. They offer clever discounts on single instruments that entice you to get more and they may go this route... we will see... 

• SoundsLikeFun
    edited January 2023
    Options

I agree that it is pretty pointless that you and I continue to grind this out Vocalpoint. You have your reasons for your stance and I have no illusion that you will change your mind andstick to your horses. But there are more users in the forum.

NI Might pick up the ball and make some money on it or some other brand will take it up and take over. They don't have a trade in system yet, but Orchestral Tools Sine is a good step in the right direction with a system where it is easy to buy single instruments. They offer clever discounts on single instruments that entice you to get more and they may go this route... we will see... 

I have seen bigger impossibles come true. Like the useless Spotify and mp3 that took over from the perfect CD format. The useless out of tune analogue synths that was replaced by the might DX7 came back and outshined the DX7 again ;)

• L.A.Taylor
    L.A.Taylor Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I was just thinking this after purchasing the 9 for £89 deal as I definitely liked 6 of them and only needed 3 or so to get the deal but didn't care for them so I just picked 3 others that were close to what I liked I probably won't use them, but the deal was so good even with 3 crapy ones I was still quids in but I would definitely be up for trading expansions/licences on a NI marketplace.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,598 Expert
    Options

This is one of those cases where the dreaded subscription model that people hate is actually beneficial, especially when done in tandem with the ability to simply buy outright the stuff you want to keep. UVI are a good example of this. Steinberg are also a good example where they don't have a subscription (yet) but do offer 30 day demos via the download manager.

I've been burnt by pretty expensive purchases for things that never really went very far or worked well. East West for instance I shelled out close to $2k because I needed some more orchestral stuff for some projects I was involved in so got Strings, horns and choir stuff, things that I did not have enough of in Komplete 8 at the time. I managed to make it work but honestly, I just found the sound hard to fit in correctly and this was 10 years ago, I found so many issues from their Play software being terrible and almost impossible to automate, to many samples with audible clicks and loop points to just dreadful performance. Enough for me to never look at their products again.

Don't even get me started with Waves and their shenanigans.