Default plugin map after years

hlf
hlf Member Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hey guys,

Could you guys finally commit to have default maps to VSTs, and make available parameter mapping beside NKS, please? This should have been added many years ago as not all 3rd party developers are onboard with NKS, and you can't use pre-NKS presets. >>>!So keep the parameter mapping when loading an internal preset browsing the VST's own presets in their own format!<<<

This is still lacking, having the unit very little value to me since purchased 10 years ago, thanks.

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,727 mod
    edited December 2022

We have a whole thread of user created NKS mappings for many plugins. How could NI enable param mapping 'beside' NKS? Surely if you create a mapping you need to save it somewhere - it is saved as an NKS patch. You may make one patch to act as a template to use to control that plugin, or use the template to them serve as a starting point to save NKS copies of as many presets as you want but I can't see how it would be possible to create mappings otherwise. NI are not able to determine how plugins expose their automatable params - that is down to each dev. Some are in a nice reasonably logical order and clearly labelled, they work well using close the default mapping (as automatically as you can get) but others need a lot of work as they were not given much thought by the dev. All NI can do is work with as many developers as possible to create a unified standard for param mappings so KK/Mas can support as many plugins as possible by default. That standard is NKS.

• hlf

Thanks for jumping in!

That is fine to have a default NKS preset for each plugin, what I'm asking for is to not override my parameter mappings when loading in a preset within the VST. Or is this not the case anymore?

Surely this should not be too complicated as this is available for 20 years in deprecated Novation Automap.

Last time I checked this odd behaviour was happening to NI Massive v1 as well...

• Kymeia

That doesn't happen with VSTs - otherwise how would anyone be able to save NKS presets? Massive and Massive X and other NI synths are rather special cases in that they use the same nksf presets as KK as the aim was for them to be perfectly integrated so what is in the preset in Massive is also what appears in KK and visa versa.

• hlf
    edited December 2022

Many presets of mine are in Massive so looks like if I want to use KK I need to accept the loss and switch to non-NI synths that is very weird... Thanks for the clarification.

Do you have any insight to avoid fingerkilling parameter page browsing maybe? That's still a showstopper...

• Kymeia

Ah well that's why when we create NKS templates there's always a tension between creating something that is comprehensive enough to be useful while also not having too many pages - it's not always easy

• hlf

Ah ok, so no Bank selection with the top buttons still... That's the matter, every parameter is relevant when designing. I hate mousing, might be the reason I more finding myself going back to using hardware synths.

• Kymeia
    edited December 2022

No - which is silly really (Kore 2 handled this, as everything, so much better) - I would also have liked the buttons to be useable as buttons (for bipolar params)

• hlf

Ah remember all started with the "big rework"... Such a shame cos so much potential in this like an ARP/Phrase editor would be awesome but not before fundamentals. Not speaking of how good the hardware is, maybe a facelift with angled displays could fire up things.