Delete Kontakt 5

kenrob2037
kenrob2037 Member Posts: 14 Member
edited December 2022 in Kontakt

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting Kontakt 7. Is there any point of keeping Kontakt 5 on my computer if I go to 7?

Rob

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Answer ✓

Deletiing 5 won't free up much space. It's up to you whether you want to delete the entire KFL. You might regret it though.

Your project will treat both as two different plugins. K7 won't intelligently load all your instruments with any of the tweaks that you make in that project. Think about it.

I sitll have some K2 and K3 instruments stored and I use them because they're different.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

you can keep it if you have many projects with kontakt 5 loaded. The daw can not automatically switch to another plugin with the same instrument.

• Gee_Flat
    edited December 2022

All of your projects containing K5 will be broken if you do that. Newer versions of Kontakt don't supersede previous versions existing on your system.

• kenrob2037

I rarely revisit my old projects, so I'm guessing it should be OK. It's just I'm getting low on hard drive space. I have all my projects and samples on USB, but I keep Kontakt on the hard drive, I feel it runs better there. Thanks for the advice.

• kenrob2037

Is there a way of saving a K5 project so it can be opened by K7?

• Gee_Flat
    Answer ✓

Deletiing 5 won't free up much space. It's up to you whether you want to delete the entire KFL. You might regret it though.

Your project will treat both as two different plugins. K7 won't intelligently load all your instruments with any of the tweaks that you make in that project. Think about it.

I sitll have some K2 and K3 instruments stored and I use them because they're different.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

You can just try it and decide then if you can kick kontakt 5. What do you mean with K5 project, but everything you save in K5 should work in k7

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

To add to that, there is a plan to implement a migration from Kontakt 6 to 7 in most of DAWs, like it's already the case for Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and Cubase, but this will take some time to happen and would not apply from K5 to K7, AFAIK.

• kenrob2037

I don't have a lot of K5 projects, so I'm thinking it won't be a huge issue if I get rid of it. I'll see how my computer runs when I download K7.

Should have bought the larger SSD.

Thanks everyone.

Rob