Ask me Anything - Drop your question for the Kontakt team

Nico_NI
Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
edited January 24 in Kontakt

We’re glad to kickstart the first official ‘Ask me Anything’ on our online community, and we’re starting things off with Kontakt.

@Adil_NI, our Product Manager and @Yaron_NI, our QA for Kontakt, will answer your most relevant questions every day of the week until Friday 23rd of December.

Feel free to like questions you think are the best so we can answer them first. 

Please note that this AMA is a space for you to ask questions directly to our product teams and talk about Kontakt with everyone. This thread will be moderated to avoid off-topic comments about other products, support issues or feature requests that are better posted in their own threads. More importantly, please be kind and respectful to each other.

Now is the time to share any question you would have regarding Kontakt in the thread below 👇

Tagged:

Comments

• Luis Santiago
    Luis Santiago Member Posts: 4 Member

Hey guys!

First of all, congratulations to all team and the manager guys, as an Enterprise IT manager here in Brazil I know that it is not nothing easy to manage some projects like Kontakt and it's ecosystem. It is not for amateurs.

My question is simple. How will NI open the Native UI to developers.

Kind regards.

Luis

• Seathasky
    Seathasky Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2022

Hello. Love your products. Currently have one question about Kontakt Player Instruments such as Playbox. I love that we are able to save user presets of random presets we come up but noticed there was no way to delete these on the fly or at all really. Any plans to update certain Kontakt libraries with features to do that?

• Trevor Meier
    Trevor Meier Member Posts: 69 Advisor

As I understand it, only Kontakt Factory Selections is supported—no other libraries from NI or 3rd parties (requiring a serial number). It's been more than two years since Maschine+ was released, so that is a long lead time indeed.

Is further Kontakt library support something we can count on in the future? Or is it still only under consideration?

• royb0t
    royb0t Member Posts: 1 Member

Hey there, much love for the whole world of Kontakt! Super happy to see the streamlined content browser and interface in Kontakt like you find in Komplete Kontrol and Maschine, even down to favoriting and prehearing audio - thank you!!

Any chance in that content browser view there'd be an opportunity to arrange libraries with like a custom/"User" sort of order? Or colors/categorizing like Guitar Rig 6? Really like the ability to customize my list of libraries with my go-tos up top, or color tagging.

• Adil_NI
    Adil_NI Member Posts: 11 Product Team

Thanks for the praise!

We'd definitely want to offer more customisation / curation-based functionality in the Browser so that customers can organise Libraries to their liking. There's no timeline in place for this yet, but we're hoping to make incremental improvements throughout 2023.

• Paul B
    Paul B Member Posts: 61 Helper

I haven't upgraded to Kontakt 7 yet, but I will. When I do, I expect that to migrate existing Ableton Live sets, I will have to go into each track which contains a Kontakt 6 instance, save as a preset, load Kontakt 7, and load the preset before removing Kontakt 6? Keeping them on Kontakt 6 will only work as long as MacOS support for Kontakt 6 continues, so I'd prefer to migrate early.

Is there an easier way? If not, can a migration option be added to Kontakt 7 to directly transfer loaded instruments and settings from a Kontakt 6 instance found on the same track, or is this too complicated/restricted by the host application?

• Yaron_NI
    Yaron_NI Product Team Posts: 7 mod
    edited December 2022

Hey @Paul B,

This is indeed a valid topic. Up until recently it was not easily possible, but recent additions by Steinberg to the VST3 SDK allow doing this as you describe - automatic migration between different versions of a plugin that have different plugin IDs.

On the Kontakt side, we are working on implementing this mechanism, but it also goes hand in hand with DAWs implementing this. Cubase, Reaper, Maschine and Komplete Kontrol already have this in place, I fully expect other DAWs will follow.

This is for the VST3 case. Regarding AU and AAX, this is not in place yet within those plugin frameworks (it did work for AU in Logic for a time, but is currently broken due to a bug). My assumption is that once it is common-place with VST3, the other targets will also implement this, but of course over this we don't have control.

• Abyssus
    Abyssus Member Posts: 6 Member

Is there any plans on allowing editing on NI/Play Series kontakt libraries ?

It's definitely a feature I miss from the old libraries, if not just for editing or saving effect chains or adding your own. I understand that the scripting for the new libraries are more complex but for us that are familiar with it then it's a unnecessary limitation on amazing tools.

• Abyssus
    Abyssus Member Posts: 6 Member

Another question

Are there any plans of creating a tool to make easy NKS files ? It would be a dream to have my own presets ready with previews while scrolling through Maschine+ and Komplete Kontrol

• Adil_NI

We don't currently have plans to create a dedicated / standalone tool for authoring NKS presets, but we want to improve the tag editing capabilities inside of Kontakt over the course of upcoming releases.

• Adil_NI

Thanks for the question! At present, Native UI (which is a new technology for creating interfaces for Kontakt Instruments) is in a closed alpha. We don't have a date for rolling this out to a wider beta or public group yet, but we will announce this as part of a wider communication plan when the time is right.

This discussion has been closed.