[Survey] Tell us what you think about MASCHINE

Comments

• T-A
    T-A Member Posts: 19 Member

Problem: Small gap in the beginning of every sample/recording of recording my external hardware synths to audio loops.

Ps. I use maschine standalone as it was intended 😃👍

The "gap" is 300 samples in beginning of every take fluctuating some 4-11 samples so we can say its constant due to the jittery in the midi protocol.My audio buffer is 64 and that gives me Latency of Input:4.8ms Processing 1.5ms Output:3.1ms = Total 9.4ms

So if you take the input + processing you get ca 278 samples + some midi jitter/latency and thats my "gap". One easy non destructive solution would be to after every record take, default to a offset for the sample "play range start" a value based on input+processing buffer with user input if needed.

my workaround now is the above manually.

• caramba
    caramba Member Posts: 15 Member

I think that all it's said. I don't expect anything anymore because NI doesn't make money with software update. It was a great idea but, it will remain a toy 😣

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

Concerning the sequencer, one thing I would really like to have in maschine is to have the sequence displayed on the whole screen and to have each knob assigned to a step of the grid which would allow to manage the modulation of different parameters like pitch, reverse, cutoff etc.. And if needed, move the modulation with the nudge function.

It would be excellent to manage the modulations of a sequence

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 292 Pro

Could you go into a bit more detail as to how that would work?I think I kind of half grasp the idea, but I'm not sure if I've understood it correctly. Any kind of even rough diagram would be a bonus, it certainly sounds intriguing.🙂

• Olihop

Yes not easy to explain this in writing. I'll try to make a mockup if possible.

The idea is that the sequence can be displayed on the screen with the modulation grid just below (like software sequencers) and that each knob is assigned to a step of the grid in order to be able to manage the amount of modulation of the chosen parameter applied to this step.

Grid options to be assigned to the top buttons (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16) to easily switch between different divisions. As well as an option to automatically set the modulation grid at the beginning of each event to work directly on the events instead of the grid. Also a "modulation curve" button would give us the possibility to choose among the curves selectable with the pad matrix.

The idea would be to have directly at hand the possibilities of modulation with the knobs and the placement of the notes with the pads and a visual feedback of the modulations applied to the sequence.

Sequence programming is an essential step and I think it would be relevant to propose the most ergonomic and pleasant workflow for this step with the controller. I wish I had more of these kind of specific menus like this in maschine.

• King swen
    King swen Member Posts: 26 Member

I use song mode to perform live. The patterns are all set up blank and I use a midi keyboard to record each pattern at the beginning of a song live; I'm able to loop and have automatically changing patterns later in the song structure that is set up. I really wish that line input recording had this ability. NI could create a new type of pattern that can record from a line input without having to go into the sampler and press start to record.

• Space Cat 303
    Space Cat 303 Member Posts: 108 Advisor
    edited February 2023

I use Maschine more mainly in standalone mode, I love the workflow, but I find that there is a big lack compared to MPC, it's editing automations, being able to edit them, erase them entirely, redo them with the rotary knobs or even better, with a mouse, and with real cutoff values, not in percentage, that would be perfect and would make M+ a perfect standalone station

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2023

Couldn't sleep today so I made a little mockup just for fun, is this what you're talking about?

HW equivalent of this:

Interesting idea for sure.

Now with some shapes/curves:

Not sure how this would work out with smaller steps and only 8 knobs tho

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor
    edited February 2023

I guess that a screen "a la Cirklon" would be fine (and effective)

we would have to navigate with arrows (pages) to access to the 16steps

there is "interpolation" between steps

(your solution is pretty cool D-One, and I can't sleep either :) )

but I don't know why we keep dreaming about all this... (especially since the last info given by @Matt_NI about development on Maschine...)

It probably makes us feel good.. :D

And that surely also benefits the competition that watches

I was looking at some recent features of the MPC OS the other day (it's crazy how much it has progressed on the latest versions.. and since I sold the device myself..)

and it was amazing to find lots of requests that can be read here on the NI forums

They even added guitar amp/cab (and even a tuner!)

yet they are not the ones who created one of the leading software in the market (Guitar Rig)....quite ironic..

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 292 Pro

If it was any other company I would be more than gobsmacked that the so-called Automation hadn't been addressed...that's not a compliment......................

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper

probability and c.trigs

customizable arpeggiator per step

at least two midi lfos to modulate effects and other parameters like arp offset/chords inversion

Essential features on any modern groovebox and present in older ones.

It does not take much to bring the maschine/maschine plus on another level.

• Olihop

Thanks d-one for the nice mockup! This is exactly the idea I had in mind.

With smaller steps, the left/right arrow buttons would make it easy to navigate through the modulation steps. The 4d button could be used to move in the sequence. With the 4d button and the arrow buttons several options are available for navigation.

The display of the parameters at the bottom of the screen would not be necessary. The value of the parameter could be momentarily displayed on the screen when you touch one of the knobs. This would allow more space for displaying events and modulations. And the curve would be highlighted when one of the knobs is touched for even better visualization.

The idea of the curves is extremely interesting in this way with the curve button which allows to display the curves under the steps. Really classy !

I gave a lot of votes to the sequencer improvement during the survey and I hope the team will work on it to give us something attractive to use.

• caramba
    caramba Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2023

Sorry, I will not blame NI, here. Apple is continuously breaking compatibility and devs have to spend an enormous amount of time of not adding anything but supporting the platform.