Need help with basic usage (S61 MK2 key lights and Smart Play)

lobstermotel
lobstermotel Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I bought the KK S61 MK2 and am confused about how to control the lights. I found some similar threads but I feel I am missing something basic. I am attempting to reach a scenario where I can have a desired key light color AND use the Smart Play features. I have tried two approaches:

1. I am able to set the key light colors for the MIDI mode using the standalone KK software. However, the Scale and Arp features are not available in MIDI mode, for some reason.
  2. I am able to insert my desired VST into the Komplete Kontrol host to enable Scale and Arp, but this disables the light configuration and is always bright blue. (Sounds strange but it hurts my eyes, my eyes are shot ^^)

What can I do to reach the scenario where I can control the light color AND use the Smart Play features? Thank you in advance.

My DAW is Cubase, if that matters.

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    Answer ✓

So what you are doing is making a midi template to change the colours but in midi mode you don’t have the “smart play” features like arp/chord. You need to be in plug-in mode “or NKS mode” to access this and need an NKS enabled instrument, but this does not allow custom lighting and uses what the developer of the plug-in chooses, or if no info available, the usual blue you see.

nothing able to change this at the moment. It’s been asked but as of yet, no promise to do anything.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    Answer ✓

So what you are doing is making a midi template to change the colours but in midi mode you don’t have the “smart play” features like arp/chord. You need to be in plug-in mode “or NKS mode” to access this and need an NKS enabled instrument, but this does not allow custom lighting and uses what the developer of the plug-in chooses, or if no info available, the usual blue you see.

nothing able to change this at the moment. It’s been asked but as of yet, no promise to do anything.