OK, what happened to the little wrench in Kontakt 7?

Michael Terry
Michael Terry Member Posts: 55 Member

The wrench in Kontakt 7 is gone...... Haha, I was finally getting used to working under the hood after 20 years.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Uwe303 I think OP means this wrench tool

So, yes for newer libraries the option to edit the scripts in the library is not possible, and the wrench tool becomes this:

So @Michael Terry you can still look under the hood on older libraries, it's not a Kontakt 7 thing but a per library thing.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

As I understand it most of the libraries (Kontakt Factory 2, Cuba, India, Ashlight, et al) as well as the pre-built libraries are locked for editing because of the sensitive scripting for high definition scalability.

Seems that the code technology is under some sort of legal NDA licensing currently.

This may change in the future, but don't hold your breath.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    edited October 2022

Hello,

no it's all still there, on top left you have a button to switch to the old view. And on top right you have a button to switch to edit view. https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/35019#Comment_35019

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Uwe303 I think OP means this wrench tool

So, yes for newer libraries the option to edit the scripts in the library is not possible, and the wrench tool becomes this:

So @Michael Terry you can still look under the hood on older libraries, it's not a Kontakt 7 thing but a per library thing.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Yeah the edit mode capability is specified per library, not a global thing in the whole of Kontakt.

• Tune.Inn
    Tune.Inn Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Can anybody give a solution as to how to disable the "+Group" for the new instruments?

It's annoying because loading multiple instruments in 1 NI session will play all instruments when hitting a key.

This is the fact for all the Percussion instruments (Factory library 2 > Acoustic> 9-Percussions), and this is really bugging me.

Does NI have to put out an update to solve this, where could I report this bug or request this?

• skilsaw
    skilsaw Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

The only recourse is to take all day and manually resample the entire library for use in a custom instrument that utilizes CPU in a logical way for performance. Seems like NI is unwittingly thwarting the concept of making the library basic sounds more secure.

If you rely on the ability the wrench gave you to use customized pitch bend/ADSR/tunings or whatever editable tweaks of instruments, you're out of luck. If you wanted to use specific sample groups for use in a "new instrument" with crucial customized performance settings, you're sunk. For instance I just bought session guitar Mint. I'm forced to have to use the heavy/bloated consumer layout of the instrument. In the past using "new instrument" I would generally create and tweak into a usable refined instrument for use for my template. The only recourse is to take all day and manually resample the entire library. I should have sat around all day with a Fender Strat and did the work.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

When you're buying a new library, watch the walk-through first. Look for the spanner (wrench). If it ain't there, don't buy it.

That's what I do.