Kontakt 6 templates and Kontakt 7

JoNee
JoNee Member Posts: 4 Sine
edited October 2022 in Kontakt

Hello! I have built a lot of templates in Cubase pro that use a single instance of Kontakt 6. If I upgrade to Kontakt 7 do I need to build the templates again?

In other words, does the Kontakt 7 upgrade overwrite Kontakt 6 or will the new and old Kontakt versions be separate after the upgrade? The latter being bad news in this case.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie U.S.A.Member Posts: 1,515 Pulse
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

K7 does not overwrite K6. They are two separate applications/Plugins.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie U.S.A.Member Posts: 1,515 Pulse
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

K7 does not overwrite K6. They are two separate applications/Plugins.

• JoNee
    edited October 2022

Thank you. In this case this is bad news… I wonder how do others with really massive Kontakt templates deal with this?

If someone knows a way to make the conversion from K6 to K7 automatically please let me know.

• davidmolina
    davidmolina Member Posts: 3 Sine

I recently updated my whole template with K6, and now you're telling me I have to do that all over again if I want to use K7?

So, I need K5 for my older projects, K6 for my newer/current projects, and K7 for new and future projects (not to mention rebuild my template)? Why do they do this? I understand partly. It is helpful to have separate plugins to avoid breaking projects but what will be the limit? Will I end up having to install 10 individual Kontakt versions by the time they reach v14?

• JoNee

Unfortunately yes, so it seems. There surely is a market for conversion software, of which I would be happy to pay for.

• Silentservice
    Silentservice Member Posts: 0 Noise

After NI named the Kontakt6 Plug-In only "Kontakt" I thought they had learned from the past and that converting large setup with 400+ instances is a major pain in the *****. And now? They present the next plug named Kontakt7 with NO autoconversion from previous Kontakt versions...*facepalm*

• Iftekharul Anam
    Iftekharul Anam Member Posts: 1 Noise

Same feeling! Before upgrading, I was looking into this template matter and found this forum. This is surely a deal breaker for my upgrade for now.

• JoNee

I contacted NI support about this and got an answer (thanks NI). Support said that Kontakt developers are looking into this issue and there might be a solution in the future. I will not upgrade to K7 before there this happens, no way I would manually reprogram hundreds of instances of K6 to K7.