[Poll] Who’s the greatest film composer of all time?

Comments

• EB5AGV
    EB5AGV Member Posts: 1 Member
    John Williams

For me John Williams 👍🏻🥇

• DavidAsher
    DavidAsher Member Posts: 10 Member

I honestly think it depends on the film. Most composers have a style and that gets accentuated by the style and approach of the film maker. Danny Elfman doesn't sound like John Williams. imagine if Star Wars was scored by Elfman and Williams did... A Nightmare, (then go one step further and imagine John Williams as Jack!). Seriously though.. its hard to break away from your "style". that said, I really do love what Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have been up to. Talk about breaking away from a style. if you had told me my favorite rockstar (Trent) was one day going to score moves like "Mank" and "Soul". id tell you you were crazy!

• SugarSmaxx
    SugarSmaxx Member Posts: 13 Member
    John Williams

JW&HZ are my all time faves, however given that HZ is limited with his musical theory I’d have to give my vote to the master of scores JW!

• Mickilín
    Mickilín Member Posts: 1 Member
    Ennio Morricone

Williams is by far the most successful, however he studied and would be humble to admit that he stood on the shoulders of giants. His music is oftentimes nearly exact to Delius, Dvorak, and other 19/20 century composers. Believe it or not, if Mozart or Haydn were to miraculously appear and offer their scores nowadays to movie producers, they'd be asked for an autograph and politely shown the door. Not even Williams is cutting it nowadays and you have to ask why. Is it his skill is not available? Or the audience wants an intimacy? That's why I voted Moriccone because whilst Williams moves my musical mind, Morricone moves my musical heart.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Member Posts: 1 Member
    Hans Zimmer

John Carpenter who isn't listed here needs way more recognition for his use of electronic synths and arpeggios used in his masterpiece for the movie Big Trouble in Little China. Way ahead of its time, a synth-laden electronic masterpiece.

• CrunkNationEnt
    CrunkNationEnt Member Posts: 1 Member
    John Williams

No Danny Elfman?

• rememberDJK
    rememberDJK Member Posts: 1 Member
    John Williams

Good poll. For me in the order John Williams for such iconic sounds and hits, also close second Hans Zimmer for catchy melodies and hits, follow by Ennio Morricone for his unique compositions for wild west movies genre. ME and my son agreed is John Williams overall, although every musician should be rewarded for their work.

• matt Marcus
    matt Marcus Member Posts: 1 Member

Hermann, and It's not even close. Willams and Zimmer are shlock by comparison.

• T4M8T0R
    T4M8T0R Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Hans Zimmer

Hans Zimmer. but that is because he wrote music for a.o. the Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman Trilogy, Pearl Harbor, The Da Vinci Code. All different genres with each its own fantastic music creation supporting it.

• Wartonno
    Wartonno Member Posts: 1 Member
    John Williams

John Williams is by far the best. The only one I mis was Alan Silvestri (Still my number two)

• BariMan
    BariMan Member Posts: 4 Member
    John Williams

There are just too many fantastic composers to include everyone who has made an impact on me. I voted for John Williams because he writes the most memorable themes, and I believe Alan Silvestri is right there with him. This is completely subjective, no wrong or right.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,661 mod
    John Williams

I wonder where Cliff Martinez is ranked. And Elliot Goldenthal. They created sounds that kept me company for 30 years.

• Copper
    Copper Member Posts: 1 Member
    James Horner

Wow, none for James Horner? Growing up in the 80's and loving sci-fi/fantasy movies, his music still plays through my head at random times. I have given him a vote!

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Hans Zimmer

I see 20 thumbs at John Williams but the counter says 29 votes. Where are the other 9 thumbs?

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    Brad Fiedel

Brad Fidel prolly isn’t the best, but the Terminator 1 and 2 soundtracks are badass!

This discussion has been closed.