GR6 + FCB1010

MattSteady
MattSteady Member Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

Firstly - thank you for your help on my previous question!

OK basically after a factory reset, bank 0 switches 1-10 select the first 1-10 presets. bank 0 switches 1-10 select the second 10 presets etc. Using MidiView I can see they are sending Program Change 0,1,2, etc to do this.

After calibration, I can use the Learn function on volume knobs etc with the swell pedals. That's great :)

However I can't use Learn with any of the foot switches. It just immediately selects a new patch instead.

I did wonder if sending midi notes through instead might be the answer. It almost is as it can learn those, but as soon as you let go of the pedal, it unpresses the button.

Sorry to be a complete noob here - what am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Best Answer

• MattSteady
    Answer ✓

Sorted! I'll leave the solution here for anyone else struggling to get their heads around it.

When you edit a switch you send a CC number and a value (that's what I was missing). And you program 2 CCs. The first is used the first time you press the switch (to turn something on), then the second to turn it off. Or vice versa.

-Press switch you want to edit

-Press down for 2s to enter edit mode

-Press Up

-Turn off 1,8,9 by holding them down. Turn on 6 and 7 by holding then down (labelled CNT1 and CNT2 i.e. controls the Control Change signals for on and off)

-Press 6 and up to edit CNT1. Press switches to select the CC number to use (I used 26), then press UP. Then press switches 0 twice to select the value of 0. Press UP to store it.

-Press 7 and up to edit CNT2. Press switches to select the same CC number (26 in my case), then press UP. Then press switches 1,2,7 twice to select the max value of 127 i.e. on. Press UP to store it.

-Press down for 2s to save the changes.

So this will now send a value of 127 when you press it, then 0 the next time. You can reverse these when programming if you want it to do the opposite.

Hope that helps someone. I need to cool my brain off for a while.

Bring the RK3 please !!!

Answers

• MattSteady

Ooooh progress. I think the pedals are currently sending Program Changes and I need them to send Control Changes. MIDI is hurting my brain. OK digging into the manual... again...

• MattSteady

Have managed to program a switch to send a Control Change Signal! In this case a 26. I can see this being sent in MidiView, and I can use Learn to switch off, say, the Amp. Progress. However, pressing it again doesn't turn it back on again. Which I presume means that sending the same CC twice doesn't change the reverse the state of the control, but literally learns to press it in that one direction only.

Hmm. This isn't really a Guitar Rig problem, but me not understanding MIDI and the FCB1010 manual being rather technical rather than instructive!

If anyone can enlighten me on how to make the switches toggle GR features on and off rather than just turn them off, I'd be grateful. I'll continue to dig.

Anyway for the record, this is how I programmed a switch to send a CC:

-Press Up (at this point you can use switches 1 and 2 to do something that is rather unclear)

-Turn off 1,8,9 by holding them down. Turn on 6 by holding it down (this is labelled CNT 1 i.e. controls the Control Change signal - there are 2 and 7 can do the other one).

-Press 6 and up to edit the CNT1. Press switches to select the CC number to use (I used 26), then press UP to store it

-It then lets you enter another number, but I'm not sure what this is for ...

• MattSteady
    Answer ✓

Sorted! I'll leave the solution here for anyone else struggling to get their heads around it.

When you edit a switch you send a CC number and a value (that's what I was missing). And you program 2 CCs. The first is used the first time you press the switch (to turn something on), then the second to turn it off. Or vice versa.

-Press Up

-Turn off 1,8,9 by holding them down. Turn on 6 and 7 by holding then down (labelled CNT1 and CNT2 i.e. controls the Control Change signals for on and off)

-Press 6 and up to edit CNT1. Press switches to select the CC number to use (I used 26), then press UP. Then press switches 0 twice to select the value of 0. Press UP to store it.

-Press 7 and up to edit CNT2. Press switches to select the same CC number (26 in my case), then press UP. Then press switches 1,2,7 twice to select the max value of 127 i.e. on. Press UP to store it.

So this will now send a value of 127 when you press it, then 0 the next time. You can reverse these when programming if you want it to do the opposite.

Hope that helps someone. I need to cool my brain off for a while.

Bring the RK3 please !!!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@MattSteady Great work and thank you so much for sharing. That could be super helpful for other people. We added FCB1010 as a tag. Hopefully this will make it easier to find for other users.

• MattSteady

No worries. Other notes :

-If you use pedals to go up and down your presets, don't do the 0 and 127 values which toggle on and off. Use 127 and 127, otherwise it will only move up or down if you press the switch twice.

-Don't remove 8 and 9 as in my previous list IF you want to continue using the expression pedals (which I suspect most of us do).

• Stuart Park
    Stuart Park Member Posts: 26 Member

I find the FCB1010 Manager software (free download) much easier for programming the board than using the board itself. https://mountainutilities.eu/fcb1010