Traktor DVS more "sticky" compared to regular vinyl?

Options

Hello

I'm new to vinyl and dvs.

I noticed that my normal records are very slippery, as in i don't feel much force/pressure when I hold them when the turn table is spinning.

But with my new red Traktor timecode vinyl I can feel a difference. It sticks much more to the different slip mats that I have. Thus it takes more to hold it and scratch it while the turn table is spinning.

Why?

My red DVS weights about 150g and my regular record about 140g. I doubt that's it.

Does the color/material mix matter? Or is it because it's so new? Or because the noise pattern grips more?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,460 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Huh, after further investigation it seems that just one side of one "regular" record is very very slippery.

And more or less by accident I used that one to compare it to my DVS.

Others are more or less similar to each other.

Thanks everyone.

Answers

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 243 Pro
    Options

Have you tried turning the record over?

• pARty_bOy
    pARty_bOy Member Posts: 63 Advisor
    Options

the white timecodes are the heavier, you will have to apply more hand force to backspin. the clear timecodes are the lighter.

• lord-carlos
    Options

As I wrote, my clear red timecode vinyl is 150g and the regular record is 140g. I can't imagine those 10g making a difference.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 243 Pro
    Options

The Red ones are the ones I use.

I scratch a lot. Maybe the hole in the record on your red vinyl is a little tight?

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓
    Options

Huh, after further investigation it seems that just one side of one "regular" record is very very slippery.

And more or less by accident I used that one to compare it to my DVS.

Others are more or less similar to each other.

Thanks everyone.

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 317 Pro
    Options

This mainly has to do with the bending of the record. Not all records are 100% flat, but stand out a bit on the outside or curve towards the bottom. Depending on which side you put on, the resistance is less or greater. In the case of the record that you used for comparison purposes, the curve goes up a bit. So you probably only have a (smaller) contact surface with the record label in the middle and therefore less friction between the slipmat and the record. As other users have already said, the different weights also come into play. Each record is slightly different in handling. You'll get used to it over time.