MP3Gain vs. AutoGain

Patch
Patch Member Posts: 228 Pro
edited September 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

So... I've been running my files through MP3Gain BEFORE importing them into Traktor. This stores Replaygain values in the actual .mp3 files (APE Tags).

I have a question. Does this actually affect the volume of the tracks when I play them in Traktor? Or, should I just use Autogain???

Tagged:

Best Answer

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro
    Answer ✓

Make 2 copies of a track. Run one through mp3gain. Maybe change the filename as test?

Put one in Deck A and one in Deck B.

Look at the waveforms and also the Autogain values for each. Click the gain button to see.

Also look at the key and for any other differences just in case mp3gain causes issues.

For instance if the waveform is a solid block. Or Autogain is a negative value more than a couple db.

Answers

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro
    Answer ✓

Make 2 copies of a track. Run one through mp3gain. Maybe change the filename as test?

Put one in Deck A and one in Deck B.

Look at the waveforms and also the Autogain values for each. Click the gain button to see.

Also look at the key and for any other differences just in case mp3gain causes issues.

For instance if the waveform is a solid block. Or Autogain is a negative value more than a couple db.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 228 Pro

Why on earth didn't I think of that???

To confirm - changing the .mp3 gain value using MP3Gain DOES change the way the wave form is displayed in Traktor.