Fastest SD Card for M+

Magenta
Magenta Member Posts: 17 Member
edited September 2022 in Maschine

Hello, what is the fastest SD card (write/read) on the market with the highest memory that machine plus can handle?

Tagged:

Comments

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor

Here’s an article by NI talking about which SD cards to use with the M+: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014062918-Notes-on-SD-Cards-for-MASCHINE-

You definitely don’t want to be using the stock SD card the M+ ships with. The links I provided below are for the 512GB version so it’s up to you if that’s enough space or if you need to go for a 1TB.

NI recommends using something like the SanDisk Extreme Pro: SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-512G-GN4IN https://a.co/d/edVXFZj

If that’s a little too pricey for you then you could try the card I use: SanDisk 512GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUA4-512G-GN6MA https://a.co/d/gMjGheH

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert
    edited September 2022

I’ve been using this SD card since October 2020 without major performance problems:

SanDisk Extreme 256GB microSDXC UHS-I A2 V30 U3

However, today I’d go for a full sized SDXC card instead of the micro.

• eldeedubya
    eldeedubya Member Posts: 23 Member

Well I am royally peeved.

Just spent a week of (what with server issues at NI) SDcard nightmare.

Spent £200 on same spec as specified by NI 1 Tb SD cards ( 1 full size, 1 micro) and both ( Sandisk) will not work.

Occaisionally i get them formatted, but Libraries / expansions FAIL to download.

Now left £200 out of pocket....seriously contemplating selling Maschine+ and forgetting about NI Komplete future products.

So annoyed!

Can anyone help?

Firstly how much space will all possible maschine+ library and expansions require, will i have any space left for projects and User Sounds etc on SD card if i buy a 512? And hope for the third time i get it working?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,003 Guru
    edited January 26

I've got a 512Gb Sandisk Ultra (micro in adapter) and still have about 50% space left - and my M+ has almost every NI expansion installed (there's only 1 or 2 I don't have) plus a load of Akai samples.

The same one mention by tribepop above, last link in his post.

• eldeedubya
    eldeedubya Member Posts: 23 Member

Thanks PK.

Appreciated.

512 it will be, its only cost be £270 in SD cards so far !🤣 Whats another 70!😂

All cards attempted at 1 tB were SanDisk, i dont thionk it the SD cards, its either the Maschine dont like 1Tb unless from some specific maufacturer that NI have tested but wont tell OR my machine has flakey reader.

All the best.

Lets hope Im not back here over the weekend with a 512 that dont work.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,003 Guru

The card mentioned is less than £40.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

@eldeedubya

512 it will be, its only cost be £270 in SD cards so far !🤣 Whats another 70!😂

At that price it's probably a card offering speeds way above 100 MB/s, those offer zero advantage as M+ cant read/write that fast... Pls dont go wasting 300$ on super faster cards, there's no point.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru
    edited January 27

yeah, dont go blowing money on a TOTL SD card. Just get a cheap one that is a recent model, its speeds will be more than adequate

It's not the 2000's anymore, we dont need to "maxx out" our memorycard specs like we were still using MPC 2500's LOL

Fact of the matter is, M+ hardware is "dinosaur tier" technology compared to what modern computing devices expect.. the latest highend stuff is waayy overkill

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 28

Well, personally I'd get a faster card if the SD reader could use it, it being USB2 means it's capped at 60 MB/s, so... no point in getting a expensive 200 MB/s card, then theres also UHS version to take into consideration:

Yeah, it's all about use case. In video where one deals with tons of GB of data writing/reading fast cards are a must, especially for those who record in RAW format, a slow card wont even work with RAW. For Audio super fast cards would not offer much value, only better rescan times, not much else.