Options

Comments

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Options
  • Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

You even may get Absynth installer, just for case NA/NA2 will stop offer it for download. But I do not think/hope it will happen any time soon. It might take a decade or more...

Another problem would be to authorize it to run as Full version and not Demo after fresh install, if NI stops authorising it for given OS version (for example NA2 will not run on OS version, that is needed to run Absynth). The problem might occure sooner on Mac than on Win, I guess. We will see....

• andalassamXX
    andalassamXX Member Posts: 53 Helper
    Options

Brian Clevinger did create a new great Absynth (although it is not called Absynth now), but if he can provide upgrade discounts for the old Absynth, I believe many people are willing to upgrade.

• sijarvis
    sijarvis Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Absynth is still a capable beast and could easily have been given new tools to keep its reputation afloat.

Massive isn't as massive as it could be, neither is it progressing as fast as it should, so maybe i'll cull NI from my VST list. They don't seem to be giving me what I want. Sample packs just don't do it for me at all.

Saying that, were Massive X to take on all aspects of all their other synths, that would be welcome. I envisage one big FM matrix to replace Massive X's wiring layout with an unlimited number of modules and effects.

• hubcapbrian
    hubcapbrian Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Another Absynth user here, started with v4 back around 2008. It's the only NI instrument I use and since there will be no Apple Silicon version or Mac OS support past Monterey coming, I will have to wind down using it.

Sadly, after being burned by Kore being dropped years ago, this news means the end of the line for me as an NI user.

• Scott Frost
    Scott Frost Member Posts: 36 Helper
    Options

Why not open source it?

• Deadwing5
    Deadwing5 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

This one hurts :( It is my go-to for anything sound design/cinematic, abstract, quirky, or timeless (despite some cheesy digital patches). A secret weapon that gets an outing on almost every session I do. There's just nothing like it. The mutate button alone is a holy grail of magic. I watched the video with Brian. Please work out a deal to allow it be open source or something. It's super unique. Just because it's software, doesn't mean it shouldn't be cherished the way old analog synths or vintage instruments/amps are. The fact that it's software with no aging or malfunctioning parts means it CAN live longer than analog counterparts. I can see why the broader mainstream audience aren't interested in it, it's not a modern pop machine but for the niche sound design/composer folks like us, please keep it alive in some form. I'm being as positive as I can be here..

• Kubrak
    Options

Would be good, if NI would allowed to go on in development. NI could do it for free, or get some money from each licence sold for few years.

For Absynth to become open source, Bryan and NI and probably some more would have to agree. Return it back to Bryan seems to be easier to manage.

• andalassamXX
    Options

Some capitalists would rather a commodity die than turn it into a free or open source work. This reminds me of the European economic crisis in the last century. Many businessmen would rather discard (destroy) the surplus milk than sell it at a reduced price.

• Ronny Bangsund
    Ronny Bangsund Member Posts: 71 Helper
    Options

I get surplus milk (and other foodstuff) with steep discounts (over 90%), so clearly some think there is a market.

Software should be even easier to get out there when rights-holders no longer care about it, at least a final version without the DRM. The source code may have elements from third parties they're not allowed to release though, so it could be a lot of work to release something in source form. Removing stuff may be just as hard as updating things to work on current systems, even if you don't care if it compiles and runs.

• Kubrak
    Options

They should at least allow legal users to use the purchased SW..... But yes, letting anyone to use it would be even better. But there might be legal problems to solve if thirdparty works were used and NI should pay amount per distributed "licence"....

• andalassamXX
    Options

If there are legal problems, try to solve them.

• lucidloops
    lucidloops Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Maybe this a jaded opinion. Nothing lasts forever yada yada.

Still, a long time ago I saved all my hard earned money from a job I hated to buy Komplete 9 ultimate. I'm still on that version. No I don't want to upgrade. Especially now. I very disappointed in NI's decision to kill one of the core reasons I bought the package. I get that its going to cost a lot of dev hours to update the look and OS compatibility. NI is a company and likes its bottom line.

I'm questioning my decision to go the soft synth route. Physical synths can't be killed in the same way. I still have a Roland that works. Since I've invested a lot of time learning its work flow and how to edit a patch I'm keeping it.

IMO that is the what NI forgets about when it kills a product. Time invested.

• Deadwing5
    Deadwing5 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

You're right. I bought Absynth first in (I wanna say 2011) and finally bought in to Komplete 11 Ultimate in 2018 or 19. Coupled with the S49 MK1 controller. They released the MK2 the following year and I could not flip the MK1 for anywhere near what I paid for it. The most depreciating asset I ever owned. There is NO CHANCE that I'll be upgrading that package again. The only reason I still own Komplete U11 is because Kontakt is a necessary evil for third party sample libraries. I'll update Kontakt itself to version 7 on Black Friday (Don't get me started on Kontakt updates........ ) and then I'm hoping to not need to update it (or any NI software) for the next decade. I do appreciate much of the community, and the mods here are helpful and I've had positive experiences when support was needed, but my investments are going down the toilet in favor of dumbed down, trendy Play additions and expansions. Apologies, I had to have my incoherent rant somewhere :) I just don't think I'm the target customer for NI anymore.

• Kubrak
    Options

I guess Absynth will live and be usable for 10-15 years more, at least. But only on Win platform.

Still, I do not understand, why NI has decided to end it. Probably it would be too expensive to port it to Apple´s M1 CPUs.... But it could have stayed at least on Win platform....