Latency and Effects/EQ Question(s) for E-Drums/Kontakt

Options
cj2k22
cj2k22 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi! I'm definitely new to a lot of this and am learning on the fly, so forgive me if these are stupid questions or have been asked before.

I have an Alesis Surge Mesh e-kit. I just switched over from EZDrummer2 and purchased the Modern & Massive GGD library and am playing through Kontakt because I loved the drum sounds.

I was able to map the MIDI well enough after all the triggering was initially out of whack, but there are a couple of things I'm not sure how to do.

First, I've had some latency issues. It's much more noticeable and worse if I use my Boom Audio EQ as my audio. It sounds WAY better that way because the drums are EQ'd, but the latency makes it unplayable.

It's better if I use the built-in selection instead, but doesn't sound as good.

So, I want to add compression and EQ the drums a bit, do I have to do it outside of Kontakt in a DAW (i.e.. Reaper) or is there a way to use the Supercharger plugin within Kontakt? I see the other free libraries in the sidebar (factory selection, play series, etc) but not the Supercharger compressor. I don't know where it is or how to use it/how to run my kit through it.

Right now, it's all for live playing. I just want good drum sounds in my headphones. I'm not recording or creating mixes - eventually, I will want to, but currently, I'm just trying to play my kit and get the drums to sound better.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,053 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

you could, as you already pointed out, use a daw, or komplete kontrol, to add eq and compression. Then you use asio or core audio as output device, depending on your os. You can also lower latency in asio/core settings. But maybe you try first in modern drummer, for example, to eq and compress the single mic channels first (without room!!switch that off), then you can add room as you like and go from there.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,053 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

you could, as you already pointed out, use a daw, or komplete kontrol, to add eq and compression. Then you use asio or core audio as output device, depending on your os. You can also lower latency in asio/core settings. But maybe you try first in modern drummer, for example, to eq and compress the single mic channels first (without room!!switch that off), then you can add room as you like and go from there.