Any cure for long delay in switching Sounds?

PooFox
PooFox Member Posts: 13 Member
edited October 2022 in Maschine

Hiii! I've got a brand new Ryzen 9 build and a couple older ones; Ryzen 7 with 16GB RAM and i5 laptop with 8GB. Internal RME audio devices and external Firebox as audio devices. Each of these exhibits a rather long delay when switching between Sounds for the first time. I'm using the same project to test and it's only got 4 Sounds; Drum Lab x2, Session Drummer, and Abbey Road Drummer.

After loading the project, it takes up to 30 seconds between selecting one of these 4 Sounds and being able to do anything. The sound keeps going fine, but I can't do anything with either the hardware or software during this wait. Selecting sounds is quick only after selecting each of them once!

Incredibly frustrating. Especially since the second build is headless and used exclusively for NI stuff (since NI don't support Linux I had to roll my own). I don't even need to see the plugin UI; there's no monitor! Any workarounds? I can't spend 15 minutes every time I load a project manually initializing all the Sounds so they'll load right away. I was planning to have up to 8 Groups with all Sounds active...

How about a command line argument to launch Machine without the GUI? Anything? Thanks...

Tested on Win 10 and 11

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Answer ✓

For Kontakt Libraries one needs fast disc and suffitient RAM, so that no swapping of memory to disc occures....

The best is to use fast M.2 NVMe SSDs. SATA SSDs are way slower and HDD ... And concerning RAM size. The libraries you use are not that big, but you load them several. For example some libraries of Cremona Quartet take up to 10 GB.

• PooFox
    Answer ✓

OK folks, you were right. Realized I had an extra SSD so I relocated all the content from the HDD there and that (In combination with the DFD setting) seems to have solved the problems with my DIY Maschine + + being so - - 😁

Thank you and good nite!

Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru

This should probably be in the kontakt section. You're not waiting on maschine; you're waiting on kontakt to load large drum libraries.

• PooFox
    edited August 2022

Hmm thanks, but there are no Kontakt instances in this project and the sounds play back fine after the project loads. It's only when selecting a different Sound that I'm getting this hangup.

I mean, the drum libraries are already loaded if they're playing back, right? So I assume it's the GUI, since functionality resumes when it finally loads.

EDIT: Actually I think I fixed it. I was poking around trying to see if in fact these were instances of Kontakt and theres a little + at the top of the GUI that opens a control panel. I went into the settings there and enabled Background Loading under DFD. Dunno what DFD is, but this seems to help.

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

For Kontakt Libraries one needs fast disc and suffitient RAM, so that no swapping of memory to disc occures....

The best is to use fast M.2 NVMe SSDs. SATA SSDs are way slower and HDD ... And concerning RAM size. The libraries you use are not that big, but you load them several. For example some libraries of Cremona Quartet take up to 10 GB.

• PooFox
    Answer ✓

OK folks, you were right. Realized I had an extra SSD so I relocated all the content from the HDD there and that (In combination with the DFD setting) seems to have solved the problems with my DIY Maschine + + being so - - 😁

Thank you and good nite!

• Kubrak

In my experience NVMe SSD makes loading times half to third of those of SATA SSD. If that matters...